Choosing a bass ( help )

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Worshipbass12, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Worshipbass12

Worshipbass12

Hey guys i'll try to keep this short. I tore 2 ligaments in my wrist which has made playing very painfull, i had to sell my am std pbass because it was just too painfull to play. I will be able to start playing again soon and need advice on which bass fits my needs the best. So here is my list of needs.
    Active ( so i can play with a lighter touch and reduce stress on my hand )
    5 string ( good range of octaves without having to move a lot )
    Thin & narrow neck ( to reduce stress & fatigue )
    Close string spacing ( reduce stress and fatigue again )
    Good looks ( must be a good looking bass as i will play out a lot and also i play at church.)
    My genres will be christian rock, southern rock, country
    Thanks for any help you can give in narrowing down my choices

2. johnson79

johnson79

Ibanez sound gear maybe? Not sure on spacing. Also, look at Birdsong. They are the company that is building the new SD Curlee line. Never played one, but they specialize in lighter weight instruments.

3. Worshipbass12

Worshipbass12

I have been contemplating the ibanez sr line or the schecter stilleto series

4. Doctor Hugocat

Doctor Hugocat

Maybe a using a preamp would help you: something like the Aguilar Tone Hammer. It's not cheap, but might free you up to buy a non-active bass which would suit you better in other areas like the neck.....

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mazareth

mazareth

Please let us know how you're able to spend. That will help with offering up some good options.

In my personal experience, short scale basses have lower string tension and the reach between notes is noticeably easier -- especially across the first 5-7 frets.

Depending on the severity of the issue you're dealing with, an ultrashort scale bass may be the best option. Also many more choices if you open up your search to four string instruments.

A final note, please follow your physical therapist's advice about exercises and when you can return to playing. If you try to rush your return, you could end up worse off than before the surgery. I speak from experience on this!

7. Worshipbass12

Worshipbass12

Thanks mazereth and i'm looking in the $500/$700 range i dont want to drop a grand on a bass until i know i can play full time again

8. bertthebassist

bertthebassist Supporting Member Supporting Member

you should be able to find a new Ibanez in that price range. They have a nice narrow neck. You may also want to look at Musicman. You might be able to find a used American Stingray or a new import. Stay away from Fender and Carvin. Their necks are too big.

9. RickBlair

RickBlair

See if you can find a 30" scale bass. It will be much easier to play especially on the first few frets. I'd recommend a Mosrite but there are no 5-strings. Check out rondomusic.com for some short scale basses. They may have a 5-string model available. Don't let the low prices sway you, their instruments are generally very good quality.

Rick B.

10. Basshappi

Basshappi

The Schecter Stilletto 5's are 35" scale, will that be a problem?

11. JustForSport

JustForSport

The Ibanez SR series necks are thin and slim,
    the BTB is wider, and the SRX series is also a little beefier than the SR series.

12. Mechanical

Mechanical

13. Worshipbass12

Worshipbass12

Thanks guys and not sure if this will help but my board will be simple a vt bass for tone shaping, markbass compressore, and a baddy one shoe wayfairer od

14. KatCreek Guitars

KatCreek Guitars Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, KatCreek Guitars
    Maybe you are set on having a 5 string. However if you are willing to consider this as a transitional instrument allowing for recovery time maybe you could considered a Hofner style?

15. LazyGecko

LazyGecko

Ibanez or LTD basses work fine and meet all of those requirements.

16. 1stnamebassist

1stnamebassist

I play a Ubass at my church 90%of the time.its effortless to play and sounds unbelievable. They make a solid body 5 string but it costs about a grand. They have the same model in a kit for substantially less. Looks are deceiving with the basses. YouTube has a bunch of recordings that sound horrible with them, but trust me they really sound great!

17. Wootenjr304

Wootenjr304 Supporting Member

Get an ibanez sr 505 or 755 they fit all your criteria. I've played top of the line warwicks and I can say those ibanez basses are way better. They're inexpensive I think a new 505 is like $500-600 at musicians friend. I had a 505 for a few years at church and it sounded good in any type of song we did. From country hymns to gospel it sounded great. The only down side is it's not that great for slapping and popping.

18. Worshipbass12

Worshipbass12

Well i play mostly finger style occasionally i use a pick if the song just doesn't sound right without it. Those roscoe basses are gorgeous but for some reason i can't open the pdf for the price list but they look expensive. Can anyone here comment on quality in ltd vs ibanez ?

19. vmabus

vmabus Supporting Member

I'll second that ^ (thumb reconstruction last year...)

20. vmabus

vmabus Supporting Member

Both are very good for mass-market instruments, but I would have to lean toward LTD for extreme value, solid construction, maybe a slight edge for playability. Even the cheapest is very good (B-50 FL).

21. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Media:
    Well, what about a Jazz bass 5'er? 1-5/8" at the nut give you a very close string spacing. doesn't give you 24 frets, but that still might be fine. Pick them up anywhere pretty cheap. Newer one's have gone to the compound radius board so it is easier to play higher up and more natural feeling on the nut end.