1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Choosing a Preamp and Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by pshep68, Jan 3, 2013.

1. pshep68

pshep68

I am removing the stock pickups from my American Fender Jazz and installing a preamp and a set of new pups. I would like to be able to do this for about $500-$600. Any suggestions? Please include why you chose your combination. Thanks.

2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

First and foremost, why? What don't you like about the stock pickups and what are you hoping to gain from an electronics swap? We need more info.

3. pshep68

pshep68

I guess I am looking for more life in my bass. It sounds very sterile. My Fender Jazz has the S1-Switching btw with not preamp. I have changed strings several times and have used serveral amps. I guess I am looking for a change. I like the bass physically. It has a great neck. I thought that by swapping out the pups and adding an onboard preamp I could achieve some versatility and a better tone without spending the price of a new bass. I've played other American Fender Jazz basses and they sound so much more full of life. I've tried a couple of outboard preamps (SansAmp BDDI & Eden WTDI) without too much success. I thought I'd ask you folks on TB for a little help.

4. bongostealth

bongostealth Supporting Member

For your price range, I would suggest Seymour Duncan jazz pickups (in particular the Quarter Pounders) and either a J Retro preamp or an Audere JZ6 preamp.

Either combination will be under $500 and will definitely bring your bass to life!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. line6man

line6man

In that price range, you can do anything.

7. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

A few decisions will help narrow the field:
    • active (i.e. EMG, Basslines, etc) or passive pickups
    • if passive, single coil or hum canceling
    • 2, 3, or 4 band preamp
    • 9V or 18V (the size of the control cavity definitely comes into play)
    • vintage or modern/"jazz bass on steroids" tonality

There are other considerations for sure but tackling this list will leave you with a reasonably short list of contenders.