choosing a switch

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tastychoice, Nov 14, 2012.

1. tastychoice

tastychoice

I built an eub with a double 9v battery box and an on off on switch. I hate 9 v batteries and the dangers of having one die at a show so it's kind of like a back up fuel tank, only using one battery at a time. So I've snapped the toggle off of the switch twice now and want to change it for a slider. If someone could point me toward one, I'd be grateful. I dug around on mouser.com for a while and I am overwhelmed with the large selection. Something that's easily mounted on an aluminum plate. I have only this picture, the switch is on the right.

Attached Files:

2. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

Stewmac have two and three pos. slider switches.

You could also get a toggle switch with a shorter arm. (You could even cut down the arm of the switch you have now.) A shorter arm make it less prone to breaking.

3. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

4. tastychoice

tastychoice

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. line6man

line6man

How much current are you drawing, that that would ever be an issue? Bass preamps rarely draw more than a few milliAmps, and many use low-power opamps with current draws in the microAmp range. Worrying over batteries is rather pointless.

7. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Did you EVER have a battery die on a show? I've been using active basses since 1976, and never had a battery die on me.

All you need to do is check them every now and then.

8. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    You might have a better chance of winning the lottery!

9. tastychoice

tastychoice

yes, yes I have. I've also had band mates play my bass and then forget to unplug it over the weekend. The back up has come in handy. OCD? Perhaps. I feel better going into a show knowing it's there.

10. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    I've left my bass plugged in for a week sitting on a stand here. The battery didn't die. Use good quality alkalines and check them every couple of weeks.

I used to get about six months between battery changes on an EMG BTC.

11. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

The only way your battery'd die quickly even when unplugged is if the preamp ground was connected to the output lug's sleeve instead of the ring contact. I've had that on one bass, it chewed up three batteries in as many weeks before I had it fixed.