1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Choosing an Env/Filter

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kurotenshi, Dec 25, 2012.

1. kurotenshi

kurotenshi

Hi guys, I'm sure the answer is somewere on the forums but since I couldn't find it...

I want and envelope/filter pedal that can be controlled with MIDI with the main objective of using it as a MIDI Wah.
    Although I don't intend to buy the HotHand (at least for now) my choice was going to be the SourceAudio Bass Envelope Filter Pro because I liked what I saw on YouTube, it's the cheapest one with MIDI, because I already have a Multiwave Distortion and love it and finally because it has the HotHand option if I ever want to use it.
    The thing is I found a used ModFactor for a nice price and that got me wondering for these reasons:
    - seems to me that the source audio has more variety on the filters but ModFactor has some more stuff that the BEF does not and that might come in handy.
    -The Eventide can be updated with better software
    -The HotHand 3 can be used with all pedals
    -I can test the Eventide before I buy but not the SourceAudio.
    EDIT: - To use the BEF I'll have to get a MIDI splitter because none of the Source Audio pedals have MIDI out/through

I would like your opinion on which to buy since the used Eventide is still more expensive than the new BEF. I play rock covers and progressive metal so I don't use filters all that much but I would like to put some dub sounds on my music.

2. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

BEF pro. midi, wah, dub, LFO, Phaser, etc.

edit: bonus with Hot Hand 3, you can use 2 axis control (sensor input and Expression input, plus midi expression input options)

3. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

BEF Pro for me too, more filters than you can need yet you always seem to have too little preset on it.

4. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

I love my Source Audio envelope filter pro. I haven't tried the other unit you mention, but you should know that The president of Source Audio, as well as some of his engineers, participate in these forums regularly. They're very cool, always helpful and I'm told they really do right by folks support-wise. You don't have a bullet point for that, but it's probably something you should factor in. :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. kurotenshi

kurotenshi

That kind of sliped my mind but yes, they have been really helpfull with the Multiwave distortion.
    Since you guys have experience with the BEF, can it do the following (or similar)?
    -Chorus
    -Flanger
    -Rotary
    -Vibrato

7. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

It can do phaser and flanger, it can do a somehow tremolo sound. I have one setting can't rmbr which coz I forgot to save lol. I know I was playing with the lfo section when I stumbled across the tremolo. it can even become an eq pedal if you want it to work that way

8. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

For chorus and all that I am waitting for orbit modulator that they going to supply.

9. kurotenshi

kurotenshi

Ok, thanks guys, between your feedback and the price argument I guess I'll be going for the BEF. The pedal and a 3way MIDI splitter gets me at most to the price point of the Eventide alone.