1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Choosing Analog Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JuanDPradoG, Dec 1, 2012.

1. JuanDPradoG

JuanDPradoG

Hi guys!
    Recently I bougt a Line 6 POD X3 Live for my bass, because I wanted to avoid buying all those expensive analog pedals and having to buy batteries and more cables, you know, make it easier.
    I had the intention to get a sound like Alex Webster from Cannibal Corpse or Jari Kainulainen from Stratovarius, that growling sound. But I just can't get it. I'm dissapointed of this pedal. I expected a lot more from it.

Now I'm thinking about selling it and start making my analog pedal board, I hope the quality of the sound it makes will be 1000 times better. The problem is that there several kinds of pedals and I don't if I should choose a Boss or a MXR.

I want multiple possibilities of sounds, from a warm jazz, to a death metal beast. I mean, I'd like some good distortion, but not the one that makes you sound like a guitar, I want a growling distortion, like a mix of clean and distorted. I'd like some Synths, like Muse stuff. All others pedals you recommend me, please explain me why I should get them. The problem is that I have a Jazz Bass, and I know I can not get brutal sounds out of it.

And if you could recomend me a 5 string and a 6 string bass would be awesome. In the 5 string I'm thinking abouta a Spector Legend or a Warwick (don't know which one). And the 6 string could be an Ibanez SR506 or a Scheceter Stiletto Studio.

I appreciate all your help. Thanks mates!!!

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

One crucial element left out- what amp and speakers are you using? Knowing this will help you with your fx query.

3. JuanDPradoG

JuanDPradoG

Well... I have a ****** amp, it´s a local brand (Colombia) and it has 70W. But I'll buy an Ampeg or a SWR!

4. father of fires

father of fires Supporting Member

What bass are you using now?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. HolmeBass

HolmeBass Supporting Member

Media:
    I think you can get pretty brutal with a J bass, but yeah a 5-er for heavy music is pretty much a good move.

I'll just say for a world of tasty, brutal fuzz, get a ss/bs TAFM.

7. Koldenblue

Koldenblue

As someone who doesn't listen to the bands you mentioned, could you post maybe some videos or sound clips with the specific sound you're looking for?

8. father of fires

father of fires Supporting Member

J Bass and some dirt will get you some growl. Maybe a bass tube screamer to get you going?

9. Koldenblue

Koldenblue

I'm gonna also say the TAFM is great.

I'd also recommend the Fuzzrocious Oh See Demon, Demon King, or a Fulltone OSD for that growly sound.

10. superdick2112

superdick2112 Registered Spector Addict

+1

You want the Alex Webster sound?
    Then you better get the Alex Webster bass.
    Spector makes some brutal sounding basses, and more than any other single element the Alex Webster Signature Spector will help you get your desired tone.

http://www.spectorbass.com/europe/neck-thru/artists_webster.html

11. Kilometers

Kilometers

His technique is a huge part too of course. Technique, pickups, amp.

12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

I'd start off with a good amp before diving into these pedals. If you don't have a good foundation, there's little use adding "flavors" on top.

13. JuanDPradoG

JuanDPradoG

I mean, sounds like these, they're quite different from one to other:
    - Muse (synth=

14. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

i think alex webster is using the darkglass b3k, and it seems like the sound that you want, Get the digitech bass synth wah for your synth sound. other than that you might want to get an eq for your bass, i believe the vt bass deluxe is good for you.