Choosing between Peavey Tour or Little Mark

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Pocketeer, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Pocketeer

Pocketeer

Hi fellas....I'm currently checking out these two amp heads: Peavey tour 450w and Little Mark 250w (black face) and has an intention of using it for small/medium sized gigs. I also play in church but wont have any problems being heard coz I use DI into the mixer and would only use my amp as monitor. Also, I occasionally get to session in other bands that play weddings/events (heavy music is seldom on the setlist). I usually play with 2 guitarists, 1 keys and a fairly loud drummer.

So I guess my requirement would be an all around setup (tone and volume wise) that would give me enough power to be heard and felt.

I will use it with either TC elec BC410 or Peavey Headliner 410 which, by the way is also giving me a hard time to make up my mind as to which cab I will use.

So I guess all I want is your opinion on which one you think would be ok for practice/gig use. Budget-wise, I am quite limited and those head and cab combined will only cost me around $900 (brand new).

When I tried the Peavey-Peavey rig at the music shop, the sound is massive and I easily dialled a tone I want but the head weighs like a boulder. Then I tried the Mark Bass head-Peavey cab, all settings on flat and tone is already sweet, it weighs just like a couple of stomp boxes but its only 250w.
    Haven't tried TC cabs yet but I'm assuming it would be sweeter coz it has eminence drivers and a horn....

So yeah, any feedback is appreciated.

2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

I own the Markbass CMD210P combo and at my rehearsal space there's a Peavey 450 Tour and Headliner 410. I've gigged with both. The Peavey has more than enough power with that 410 to do a fairly large gig. We've played outdoor gigs with it too. You can get a good tone out of it too. The Headliner 410 is a sealed cab.

If the Markbass head that you're looking at is only 250 watts, then it will probably run out of steam sooner than the Peavey.

3. Pocketeer

Pocketeer

Thanks Freddels for the response.....yeah it would be nice to have lots of headroom. I'm just really concerned on the weight, I don't wanna end up selling it after few gigs.
    I always wish you could get a drummer and a guitarist to jam with you while we test amps in-store so we actually get an idea how hard we're pushing the amp to be audible in a jamming situation coz all amps sound nice and punchy at the music shops. Lol maybe they can start doing that instead of leaving you in the amp room, would be nice if staff can jump in and jam with you. Dunno if that happens in the US but haven't seen it here in Australia.

4. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Depends on the store. If it is a big box store like Guitar Center you are lucky if the guys know that guitars have 6 strings that must be tuned. :D

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Cirk

Cirk

Considering how much trouble folks have had getting their MB gear repaired, I'd go with the Peavey amp. Another option for you would be a Crvin amp. Check out the threads on their XB500 amp. Might be what you're looking for. Also, the Hartke LH500 gets a lot of love here, and Larry is a member here. His CS is unparallaled. Of course, buying used gets you more for your money - what's available to you locally?

7. Pocketeer

Pocketeer

Haha Lol!!!!

8. Pocketeer

Pocketeer

The is for your feedback....

Wow never came across (a thread or post) about MB that needs repair...I always looked up to their amps, that's something new, (or are you talking about MB stuff that gets used everyday and gets normal wear and tear and finds it hard to get a local tech to fix MB stuff?) I should research that too, considering the LM250 are not made in Italy.

I dont see a lot of Carvin stuff here in Australia, saw some old cabs at pawnshops -never tried them, but. I've been seeing lots of used Hartkes for sale online but most of them are HA models.

9. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

Here's one: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/markbass-warranty-repair-mess-964224/

10. Pocketeer

Pocketeer