Choosing between two totally different basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sgroh87, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Sgroh87

Sgroh87 Supporting Member

I currently own a Pedulla ThunderBolt 6 tuned BEADGC and an Ibanez SR506 tuned EADGBE for doing fingerstyle guitar music. Both of these basses weigh over ten pounds and sometimes I just want to relax with something simple and light. I've got some gear that I'm trying to sell, and if I do I'll have a pretty significant chunk left to get something nice.

I mostly prefer hotter or more aggressive tones, but I do want the ability to mellow out the sound if the situation requires it. I'm looking at a couple different basses right now.

I've played both the Rickenbacker 4003 and 4004, and I really liked both of them. I certainly don't find them as uncomfortable as some people do and I like the aggressive tone that both of them have. The 4004 has the advantage of a shaped body that's very light; they seem to range from 7.8-8.5 pounds, which is amazing. The shorter scale also jives with my desire for a more comfortable instrument. That being said, a Ric always sounds like a Ric. That's not a bad thing because I like that distinctive bite in the sound, but still worth pointing out.

I'm also interested in the MusicMan Big Al SSS bass. I haven't had a chance to play one because I haven't seen one locally, but all of the videos I've seen show an awesome tonal diversity, and the ability to turn the preamp on and off is really cool. I've heard that it can do a passable imitation of a P, a J with both pickups, a J bridge, and a Ray in active mode. Not quite there on any of them, but pretty close. Plus I dig the quirky shape.

If I was deciding between different kinds of Jazz basses, then it would be a lot easier because they are all generally the same; I mean, a G&L JB-2 and and American Standard J are basically cousins so a direct comparison isn't that difficult. But what do you when you like two completely different instruments equally, but for very different reasons? How do you make your decision then?