choosing between Warwick Star Bass and Lakland Skyline Semihollow

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chalie, Dec 26, 2012.

1. chalie

chalie

Hi Guys,
    Wonder if anyone had a chance to check on this 2 models. I wonder which one is more attractive. :bassist:
    Thanks,
  2. chalie

chalie

Any comment
  3. lpcarter

lpcarter Supporting Member

I LOVE my Lakland HB. Warwick stars look way cool, but I've never played one.

The Warwick has jazz bass pickup placement, closer to the bridge and center of the body vs the HB which is centerish, neck.

My HB is super versatile and has the looks to kill. I would always recommend a Lakland, but that's where my bias stands.
  4. brad houser

brad houser

my Lakland HB rules!!!! I love it. the bridge PU is in the musicman position, and the neck one us right up against the neck, mudbucker style. the Warwick has more of a jazz bass setup.
  5. 4OnTheFloor

4OnTheFloor Supporting Member

I played a fret less version of the star bass and the fretted version of the lakland HB. I've had a chi sonic in a p-bass as well. I feel the WW represents the semi hollow sound better. I also feel the WW is far more authoritative. The sound of the WW just like any other sounds like a WW, so if you're not familiar with the tone, I suggest you play one. Vote: star bass!
    All IMHO and all that.
  6. Crabby

Crabby

Consider the Gibson Midtown as well. I just ordered one and am eagerly awaiting its arrival. The Warwicks look so sweet though!
  7. iualum

iualum

Never played the Warwick, though it looks great & has wonderful reviews.

But I have played the Lakland Hobo. Own two; an amber/red/black trans burst w/Barts & a Darkstar'd CAR. Both are tremendous. Love the Barts for a more upright vibe. Love the Darkstars for their brutal thunder.
  8. The_Owl

The_Owl

While I haven't tried the Lakland HB, I bought a Pro Series Star Bass in March, and I couldn't be happier. It sounds great with flats, like the richest, most full sounding jazz bass I've ever tried, while at the same time having that unmistakable Warwick mid punch.