1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Choppy transitions

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by rufus347, Dec 9, 2013.

1. rufus347

rufus347

Any ideas on how to smooth out my slap bass playing. Its sounds really choppy when I transition from the melodic to the percussive spots in the groove and vice versa.
  2. mastodon88

mastodon88

Are you saying your different slap transitions are choppy or your transition from finger style to slap sounds choppy?
  3. rufus347

rufus347

Sorry, muted percusive notes to regular slap and pop notes. Cant seem to merge them into one smoth bassline.
  4. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

I'm not sure what you mean by choppy or what the two styles (muted/regular) are, but my general advice is: SLOW DOWN! If you can't do it smoothly, you are trying too much too soon too fast.

Figure out what all the motions you need to do are. First, play it completely out of time. Get each motion perfect, even if it takes you several seconds to get your hand position correct from one note to the next. When you have that working smoothly and with no tension, start to play in time, but very slowly, maybe half the actual tempo.

To get things even smoother, I like to play things with different rhythms. Swing the 8ths or 16ths (first one long, second one short). Then, reverse the swing (first one short, second one long). Once you can do both of those smoothly, them playing the line in straight time should suddenly feel easy and smooth.
  5. rufus347

rufus347

Thanks helped alot, found that slap bass is a whole new animal but im hooked