Chord advice

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Bassdude15, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Im writing a song with a 2-chord pivot, really. The first chord is Em9, the second is G major. I like to play a lick in G under the Em9, and I don't want to play the same thing, but everywhere Ive tried to transpose the lick it changes the way the song sounds in a way I don't like. Advice??

THANKS,
    Bassdude15

2. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Not sure why you would transpose the lick if you are not changing key. I'm assuming what you mean is that you want to vary the lick to avoid too much repetition. Without knowing exactly what the lick is, I'd offer these suggestions:

1. Play the same notes, but change the rhythm (I'll often just set up a root, 5th, b7th, and octave and play it 10 different ways)
    2. Shuffle the order of the notes. Instead of G G B G D E G, try G D B G G(octave) E D.
    3. Add chromatic passing notes to the primary riff.
    4. Play the riff backwards
    5. Don't play anything (e.g., Good Times Bad Times)
    6. Alternate notes of the riff w/ your guitarist/keyboard player.

3. markjsmithbass

markjsmithbass Supporting Member

I'm also unsure what you mean by transposing the lick. Why don't you just use different licks? Is there a reason for wanting to use that same lick?

If the lick is based on G major and it uses the notes of the G major arpeggio then the only places you'll be able to move it too are C and D without it sounding out in your E minor or G major key. Other notes will mess it up even more.

One thing you can do is change the notes of the lick to suit other areas of the key. Change the major 3rds to minor 3rds etc.
    Without knowing what you've done with it already it's hard to say.

Mark