chord changes...a real b**ch

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bassbrother666, Dec 5, 2013.

1. bassbrother666

bassbrother666

hey there, so now at this time of my bassic and musical journey, i am really starting to get into jazz, but i have a problem...the only tunes that i know are the ones that my teacher gives me, and i would like to know some other tunes...but how do i get the chord changes, am i suposed to know them and write them down by hearing...or is it okay if i get some from a fake book or from the net?
    What do you think
    sorry for the bad english.

2. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

To get tunes in your ear there's one thing to do - listen. Do it a lot, which is a prerequisite for getting good at any musical endeavor anyhow.

Fakebooks have a lot of tunes in them, but they're simplified or in some cases plain wrong, so keep that in mind. Are you a beginner? Advanced?

One thing you could do, without digging out any tunes, is to walk over ii-vs or turnarounds in all keys. There are specific patterns you'll find a lot. Make use of them!

3. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Supporting Member

Starting out (as you are) you'll have to get them from fake books and tabs. In time, as you learn more theory and your ears become better attuned you'll be able to hear the intervals ... how C-A-D-G and G-E-A-D, while different chords, are similar in the relationships of the chords to each other (ie, intervals are 1-6-2-5 and it's a common pattern). Yes, I know I just went over your head, but you'll understand as you get on with your studies.

There are many good fake books (I have 43 of 'em) ... but you also have to realize that a particular recording that you like may be in a different key than it is in the fake book. Transposing is another thing you'll learn as you progress.

4. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Fake books are after all some ones best efforts at transcribing this song. Most of the time it's a lot quicker than I could do it by ear. And it is a starting point.

After you know what you are doing if the fake chord is not to your liking - change it.

Now with fake chord you are given the chord name and the lyrics, and you take that and compose a bass line from the chord name.

The Real Book, Sixth Edition - in bass clef is full of jazz standards. Its the tune in bass clef. More like a lead sheet, but no lyrics.

Long story to say get some sheet music and play from that.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Lownote38

Lownote38

I use the Real Book (1 and 2) and listen to the recording to make sure the changes are correct. If they aren't, I correct the chart. It's a starting place and a good way to practice playing the melody as it's written, walking over the changes, soloing over the changes and even playing the chords on a bass. I had to do all of the above in school.