Chord Charts for six string bass

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by jaxlaw, Jul 3, 2005.

1. jaxlaw

jaxlaw

I admitt it I am a six stringer and am intersted in fulling my sound out some, as one of my main gig presently is with just a piano. I use standard tuning BEADGC. Any idea where I can get such material would be appreciated :hyper:

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002

Media:
    I'll look to see if I can find one for you.

I wasn't able to find one I liked myself, so I'm currently sketching out a list of usable chord fingerings (usable meaning I'm writing out only the most useful fingering combinations of each chord). It doesn't really matter what number of strings you play them on, since they're about the fingering patterns for each chord type and not specific chords themselves.

These are just the sketches so far and aren't done yet (I forgot to fill in my most common fingering for a Major chord for example); when I finish the sketches, I'm going to make a clean-looking (ie not handwritten ;)) version on my PC- if you'd like I could post it here when it's done.

I'll also be lining up the most similar fingering for each chord in in each vertical column so it will be easy to see how to move from one chord to the next with minimum finger movement-the way they're written out here is just how I randomly wrote them down as I thought of them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Media:
    Ha! I just noticed some of my fingerings were written wrong :D

4. jaxlaw

jaxlaw

Hey Brian thanks for the info and your quick response I just got in from church I appreciate you sharing your work with me evan thougth some of the fingerigs may be wrong - Gives me a good starting point - If I can't find a chart I'll attempt to do like you and make my own - although hopefully one is out there. BTW is that an Erlic that you have? How do you lioke it, almost bought one before I went for my Roscoe

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bryan R. Tyler

Media:
    Thanks jaxlaw-yes, both of the basses in my avatar are Elricks and I love them- I'm getting a third one in two weeks. I've finished the first page of my "finished" charts and there doesn't appear to be any errors on it. Here it is- I'll post the other ones once they're finished and proofread.
    [​IMG]
    I have larger printable one of it as well if you'd like one.

EDIT: I changed the scale sheet a bit to make it easier to see how the chord fingering relate to one another.

7. Sandman1278

Sandman1278

that chart seem offf....

isnt a major something like this
    [​IMG]

maybe my theory is off but ive never seen a chart like taht b4

8. Sandman1278

Sandman1278

o wait its sideways nvm no wonder it didnt make sense lol

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Media:
    :D

Yeah, I've never found much use for writing them out vertically like many of them are, because that's not how you see your hand when you're playing.

10. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Great post, Bryan. What program are you using for the charts? Photoshop?

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Media:
    Thanks, Jason. I had a .pdf file of the blank chord chart and turned it into a jpeg, and then I did all the work on Paint Shop Pro 9.

Here's the second page of the chart- I posted it in General Instruction to be proofread and it hasn't gotten a response yet, but I looked it over pretty well and didn't find any mistakes yet. I'll make a third page tonight and post it as well.
    EDIT: Added Major 7 b5 and changed a couple placements around, and added third chord chart
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. bass element

bass element

sry, but are those charts r based on a 5 string bass?

13. Bryan R. Tyler

Media:
    I put them in a five-string layout, yes, but since they are fingering charts and not specific chord charts, you can use them for four, five, or six (and up) strings. I don't have many chords listed so far that span five strings at a time, because unless you're barring, it's often tough to play them, and I'd rather be able to reach them with less stretching.

You can get some nice chords by barring all the fourths up on a six or seven-string- I haven't listed any (yet) though.

14. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

15. Pruitt

Pruitt

16. spill

spill