Chord Melody method books?

Discussion in 'Ask Todd Johnson' started by Jazzkuma, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Jazzkuma

Jazzkuma Supporting Member

Hi Todd
    I have started to get into chord melodies for a while (after listening to a bunch of Joe Pass). I played your transcription of bye bye blackbird but as I was trying to play chord melodies through other standards it was a bit difficult to find voicings which would be comfortable to play. I found myself doing to many large stretches.
    Are there any chord melody method books which you would suggest. I thought about getting one of Joe Pass' books but the guitar tuning wouldn't work with my 6 string.
  2. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

Yep....go to my website www.toddjohnsonmusic.com/store .....scroll down and order my "Fishin for Grips" book and DVD. This is my method for teaching you how to play chord melody on 6 string bass.....it's exactly what you're looking for.

You might also consider taking internet video chat lessons with me once you get the basics of the book under your hands.

Cool???

Cool....
  3. Violen

Violen Instructor in the Vance/Rabbath Method Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Guitars (Basses)
    Book not available? :(
  4. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

Send me an email to todd@toddjohnsonmusic.com and I can send you one of the few copies I have left of the original version.

FWIW, I'm going to re-do my chord melody method into a multi part downloadable version. Hope to have it done sometime in 2013.

Sorry for the tease.....
  5. Wally Malone

Wally Malone

Disclosures:
    AFM International Representative
    Fishin for Grips, well worth the purchase!

Wally
  6. melodiaopus

melodiaopus Supporting Member

Does the book cover 4 string chords voicings. I am having some trouble with good 4 string chord voicings for slash chords like D/Cmaj7 etc... maybe you can suggest some good books that can help me in this area.
  7. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

To be perfectly honest...."good 4 string chord voicings" are quite limited because of range and timbre....by the time you get enough notes to imply the chord it gets "too thick" IMHO.

A D/Cmaj7 is basically a Cmaj7#11.... So you'll want a high F# on top...so it will sound like a #11 and not a #4....know what I mean?? (its about the register its in).

So, I'm sorry to say I don't know of a "good book" I can recommend for 4 string....
    I would highly recommend a 5 string tuned E - C....or just take the plunge and get a 6 string. Its AMAZING what a difference that C string makes in opening up chord voicing opportunities.

FWIW...I hope to have new "Chord" related materials out later this year. Sorry for the tease, but that's the best I can do for now.... The other option would be online lessons. I can show you everything "I" know with online lessons. (shameless plug! :))

I hope this helps....
  8. melodiaopus

melodiaopus Supporting Member

Just got a Zon tenor 5 string. Do you have any chord voicing charts that you'd like to share at all?
  9. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

Sorry, not at this time. I'm currently in the final stages of finishing my new "Improv Method"... I have to finish this first before I get to re-doing my chord melody method. Sorry about that.

I can show you my entire method for chord melody, but we'd have to do it via online video chat lessons. If that's something you're interested in send me an email to todd@toddjohnsonmusic.com and we'll get you going ASAP!!:)