1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Chord Modes

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Whousedtoplay, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

2. Bainbridge

Bainbridge

Did you make this? The chord names are funky. "7+" to me looks like a backwards "+7", which is an augmented triad plus a minor seventh. Better to use "maj7" or "Δ" when major sevenths are involved.
  3. Lownote38

Lownote38

Even having been through music school, that looks way too complex. It doesn't have to be if you know some theory and the modes. Better yet, playing jazz and listening will tell you which scales to use if you know the modes and some other scales already.
  4. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

More explanation is needed.
  5. Lownote38

Lownote38

Agreed, and it can be explained with less than what is written.
  6. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

Might as well do your solos with these:

[​IMG]

An Early Blue Note Session:

[​IMG]
  7. davidhilton

davidhilton Supporting Member

Please no! I took one look at that and I'm not going anywhere near it!:rollno:
  8. davidhilton

Lemme start off with saying, ur posting of "Top speed and in all keys" : Charlie Banacos's pedagogy of jazz improvisation / by L, is amazing. Thanx for hipping people to Banacos.

I'm real familiar with Bergonzi's work, I studied with his bass player- Bruce Gertz for @ 3 years. Had the opportunity to hear and meet him many times. Also his "Inside Improv" series is great inspiration for learning....but some of these symbols like, 7+ and 5-, Ive been thru most of his books and I've never seen those notations before. I can see where many people on this forum may become very confused. Just sayin...
    "Opinions are like..." u know the rest
    Thanx for ur effort Whousedtoplay.
    "if u can sing it u can play it!"
    www.basslessonslosangeles.com
  9. Schlyder

Schlyder

10. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Try these also.. I made this for myself to help me wrap my head around some of this stuff .. but it might be helpful to anyone. The file is a WINRAR file. Just Unzip it and extract the chart to your desktop. It prints out on 11x17"paper for best results.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Modes/Scales/Chords

It is not as extensive as the stuff posted by whousedtoplay.. but if you give it some thought and you do do not already know what is in either set of charts.. the ones above might help make more sense of the OP's charts. I intentionally used intervals on the fingerings charts because you can stick them anywhere.

Every little bit helps.. :cool: also if anyone finds any errors on there please by all means let me know.
  11. davidhilton

Bergonzi is the best yo! One of the greatest music educators ever!
  12. Groove Master

Groove Master

I love his books. I got really into Vol.2 The penta for a starter. It took me about 6 months to work on the first page in all the keys up & down at full speed :)

My fourths are good now.
  13. davidhilton

Studying with Bruce Gertz while in Boston I was very influenced by The Gonz. I've seen him play so many times, every time just blew me away. I'm very familiar with Gonz's "Jazz Lines", matter fact his complete "Inside Improv" series. If anyone calls "All The Things", I ask them if they know Bergonzi's version- some do. I also studied with Eddie Tomassi, who hipped us all to bop scales. I have some great handwritten notes from his class that i still use in teaching. Its so funny because I'm getting the feeling some TB'ers don't realize I only touched the very tip of the iceberg with my "bebop scale" video. I could probably do at least 3 or 4 more easy. If you get a chance check out Hal Galper and the Gonz playing, "All The Things" Amazing version...
  14. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

I studied with Bruce for about 6 years in the 90s and he hipped me to Bergonzi as well. He can blow for hours and just keep coming up with fresh stuff. It's been a number of years (too many, I would guess) since I went to a jazz show...
  15. davidhilton

I would like to clear up any confusion you have about my Bergonzi references. What is it that you are confused about?
    -d
    P.s. I just sent you a PM with a request:rollno:
  16. davidhilton

17. davidhilton

OH! Have I been spelling his first name wrong? Snap! Is it misspelled on my website????
    :crying:
  18. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Please; it's Jerry Bergonzi, not Gerry Bergonzi. You wouldn't refer to Babe Ruth as Gabe Ruth, would you?
  19. davidhilton

Thanx man! I just changed it on my website.
    -d
  20. davidhilton

Hey Who,
    Maybe we should start a thread on Bergonzi?