1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Chords - Practice

Discussion in 'Ask Janek Gwizdala' started by Bass-Teddy, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Bass-Teddy

Bass-Teddy

Hi there Janek!

First of all I would like to thank you for all the great videos and music you make!

And on to my question: Im not a professional musician or bassist and Im not really good at music, but my goal is to get as good as possible. Im trying to learn chord "connections". I find it hard to develop a natural sence for hearing chords efter each other in my head and play them... Soooo, I started to loop 3-4 note chords on my 5-string, but every time I get to the point when I have a melody, I just cant consturct a good chord related bass line for it.
    Or if I have a good bass line in my head I cant find a good chord based explanation or melody for it.
    Any ideas how can/should I practice these?

Thank you in advance!
    Have a nice day!
  2. janekbass

janekbass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Founder and CEO of http://videobasslessons.tv
    My first suggestion is to start listening more closely to chord sequences that you like in songs. Be that on the radio, from your own collection, spotify, itunes etc etc...

At first take simple pop songs that only use 3 or 4 chords, loop them, and then learn the melody of the song so you can play it over the top of the chords. This is going to start getting you familiar with the kinds of melody notes that are available over certain chords. It will also give you a good idea of where your own taste in melody lies, and what combinations of melodies and chords sound the best to you.

Starting simple is the key here so that you can train your ear to hear small pieces of musical information at a time. Then it's a question of taking all these small pieces of information that you're learning each day, and putting them together to make up a bigger picture. Take it at your own pace and don't start with anything too complicated.

Your best course of study will be to immerse yourself in what sounds good, listen to that over and over, copy it, repeat it, and then take from it what you think is hip to add to your own vocabulary.

Janek
  3. Bass-Teddy

Bass-Teddy

Thank you Janek!

I'll start off with these ideas. Sound fun and challenging.
    And again, thanks!
  4. Bass-Teddy

Bass-Teddy

Hello again!
    Can you suggest any good practice songs? I dont really seem to find any...or those tracks just sound more complicated then they really are...