Chorus/Flanger/Phaser???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by phoenixjmw, Mar 16, 2014.

1. phoenixjmw

phoenixjmw

I am not a big effects guy so hoping some of you can enlighten me a bit.

Right now I am using a Jackson bass through a GK MB115 combo with just a tinge of chorus from a BOSS chorus pedal.

I really like the above sound. Just the bit of chorus really fattens things up. However, sometimes our guitar player plays some pink floyd-ish type stuff with heavy phasing on the leads. I feel in this case the bass sounds a bit dry so I wanted to add some funky splash to my sound to match him on those parts.

Thing is the above 3 effects sound pretty similar to me. I think the phaser sounds better for guitar with its "whaa" sound but flanger sounds better for bass with the more splashy sound. But the flanger sounds a lot like the chorus I already have.

So I am not sure how I should first try to do this. Hoping some of you can give a more experienced take on how these effects mix/dont mix together. I am a bit concerned a flanger may be too much with the chorus? Obviously my ears would be the final judge but I would really appreciate any pointers...
  2. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

i think the flanger on its own would be fine, might be a bit too much (too redundant) with the chorus.

i bought mine in that order chorus (mxr micro), flanger (boss bf2) and phaser (mxr script 90). best of luck!
  3. yaksonator

yaksonator Supporting Member

I'd look into the Source Audio Orbital Modulator. It has all those tones, it can be tweaked almost infinitely..

Plus, have you tried adding dirt to the mix? I don't know how those effects mix with each other but I do know how different they can sound with dirt of any kind before it..
  4. Unemploid

Unemploid

mxr bass chorus deluxe is a chorus and flanger. their are a couple chorus with flanger pedals, but the mxr bcd has a x-over button that makes the lower nots less effected.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. sk8

sk8

TC Nova Modulator
  7. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    +1. The Orbital is an awesome pedal. It has chorus, flanger, phaser and a resonator on it. It can be tweaked to your hearts content. IMO, if the guitar player is already using chorus or some other modulation effect, yours may get lost if you try to use it at the same time. Have you thought of adding a touch of OD or dist/fuzz to the mix when he hits those modulation parts? Or even an octave. I think OD would sit better during his mod parts than adding more mod on your part. But anything is possible, anything.
  8. mtb777

mtb777 Serving bottom for the Most High. Supporting Member

+2 SA SB2 ORBITAL.