1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Chorus users? Pedals in general.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by punisher911, Jan 24, 2013.

1. punisher911

punisher911

Any chorus users? Do you leave it on most of the time or just here and there? I just picked up a Digitech Hardwire Chorus and have yet to get it over to my band practice area to test it out. I went with the Hardwire because of the options available on it for different chorus sounds. I've been trying to find pedals that are usable in my band setting. I've determined that since I'm playing through my Orange TB500, I don't really need a dirt pedal as it has it's own flavor of dirty sound anyway and the few OD/Fuzz I've tried got buried in the mix.

Using:
    Carbon Copy- on a slapback delay setting
    Phase 90- set at 2:00 for the speed. Works well on slower songs, specially when I bounce between octaves. It adds a nice Wah to the higher octave.
    (soon to try my) Chorus- I'm thinking this will work well in the band as they seem to add a "fullness" to your sound.

Tried:
    Swollen Pickle- liked it when I played alone, just didn't cut through in the band setting.
    Green Rhino- similar to the SP, but I didn't give it much of a chance and returned it in favor of the chorus.
    SYB-5 -as fun as it was, couldn't find anything useful in the band setting.

Curios to try:
    Boost pedal- I'm wondering if a boost pedal will push the tube preamp in the Orange a little more to give me two levels of Orange growl with the on/off of the boost pedal.

2. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

I'm using the MXR Stereo Chorus. I use it sparingly right now, bbut it was on all the time for a while. It depends on the song, for me.

3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

I have a Digitech X-Series Multi Voice chorus which was pretty much given to me. Pretty decent for the price so I can't complain. As with all choruses I've encountered, higher settings can be useful as true effect, lower levels provide presence without being obnoxious.

Riis

4. bassplayer1960

bassplayer1960

i have a Boss GT-6B processer which can do a lot (if i could figure the out!) but i use one setting which combines reverb, flange and chourus. i use this setting mostly for solos.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I use it here and there, just for certain sections of songs.

7. punisher911

punisher911

That's my goal... Presence without being obnoxious.

8. godblender

godblender Supporting Member

The Boss ceb-3 is a very usable chorus and can be had cheap cheap cheap. I personally like to use a bit of chorus on some passages and have found the Iron Ether Polytope to give me pretty much exactly the kind of chorus sound that I like. I'm may sell it only because I have a Mobius to handle my fairly modest modulation needs...but I haven't been able to convince myself to yet!

9. blindrabbit

blindrabbit Supporting Member

I used to use mine only on songs that called for it - mainly covers of 80s/90s music it seemed, plus one or two originals within a similar vein. For me, it was either on for the whole song or not, I can't think of any places where it was just a certain passage.

These days I like fattening up my sound with using a more driven tone, and punching up to the front with some boost/OD as needed.

10. bludog

bludog Supporting Member

I use it for effect only, not always on.

I had a Boss CEB3 years ago and did not like, although it was a decent introduction to a chorus effect - relatively versatile and very affordable.

I also had an Analogman Mini Chorus w/ Deep Mod and Mix Knob - I liked this but it wasn't quite what I was looknig for. It's a great classic (EHX Clone) chorus and the mods helped but it was not quite right for bass... sounds fantastic on other instruments though so I still have it.

I now have an Iron Ether Polytope on my board and I absolutely love it. It's exactly what I had always wanted chorus on bass to sound like. I use the detune setting and although it's not a traditional chorus, I REALLY like the effect. Wish I could describe this more elequently for you, but having trouble at the moment. I'm sure there are a ton of other Polytope lovers out there that could lend some additional insight.

Check out the demos, Mr Excane's is pretty good at showing what is possible.
    http://youtu.be/prd0M6SMzfw
    http://youtu.be/q00mF2RAjeY

Marc Sterling also did one that shows how you can use it with Fuzz, Octave and Filter to sound very synthy. It's awesome. http://youtu.be/b8qq3eCq8vw

11. redwookie

redwookie Supporting Member

Not always on. Although I'd live to find a Joy Division cover band and leave it on : )

Tried: CEB-2 was ok. I've been using a Boss CEB-3 which was better.

Using: Just picked up a EBS Unichorus I'll be trying out on stage in a few days to see how it works in the mix.

12. Darknut

Darknut Supporting Member

I've been using a CEB-3 for a few years now & have been happy for the most part. Recently I picked up a Zoom multistomp MS-50G & I'm now using it for chorus duties among other things. The MS-50G has 3 or 4 Chorus models & they sound really good ... better than any Boss chorus I've heard so far.

13. metaball

metaball

i have a Hardwire CR7 on my stereo board. i leave it on all the time for subtle movement.

14. Plays_For_Dog

Plays_For_Dog

I use chorus as needed. I like stomping it on to add some space to the bass.

15. punisher911

punisher911

I went with the Hardrive Chorus because of the different chorus settings it has. I feel I should be able to find something usable with all the options. I'm hoping to use it on most songs as a subtle sound "filler" just to thicken things up a bit. I have two songs that the phase 90 gets the call and a couple for the Carbon Copy, but I'm going to hopefully find a use for the chorus for most of the others.

16. fleizenkruz

fleizenkruz

happy Boss CEB-3 user here :)

I never use it for "over-the-top" chorus though, just because I don't need that. My band plays originals in the style of Explosions In The Sky. Sometimes when the mellower part comes in, it's nice to kick in the chorus just to widen things up a bit

17. HolmeBass

HolmeBass Supporting Member

Not always on. I use a polytope too, I love it. It gets some classic chorus sounds, but most of the time I just use it as a detuner, with the modulation off. The beat frequencies between the 4 de-tuned voices and the dry signal provide plenty of motion and shimmer with absolutely no swooshing. I use my flanger, BEF3, for swooshing. Polytope is great, I kind of wish it had three saveable presets because it is pretty flexible, but I am not very much into a lot of knob tweaking on a gig.

18. Waterpilot

Waterpilot

I have a IE Polytope and a Dr. Scientist Cosmichorus. Both are fantastic, and can be used differently. I don't use chorus as an always on pedal.

19. miiitch

miiitch

CEB-3 here as well, running it in stereo. don´t need another chorus

20. bass.player

bass.player

The Maxon CS-9pro is the most beautiful warm analog chorus I ever heard on bass. This being said I recently bought a TC Electronics Vortex flanger which makes me curious about the Corona chorus.

21. HeavyJazz77

HeavyJazz77 Supporting Member

The TC Electronics+ can be left on all the time with a slightly effected signal mixed in w/o losing any fundamental tone. If the Orange has a loop, just put the TC in it by itself and leave her on. For on/off style, epic chorus I recommend the Analog Man Chorus - comes w an optional 3 position switch for different styles of sweep. Can take up to 18v in mono or 12v in stereo mode so your active electronics don't overdrive it.