1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Chorus - Where to next?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by James Gibson, Nov 23, 2013.

1. James Gibson

James Gibson

Hey everyone!

I'm a big fan of chorused bass tone. The sounds I'd like to emulate are Duff McKagan, Bathiki Kumalo on Graceland, and Jaco. I like to use it to fill space when a guitarist or keyboardist solos, or to add dimension when I solo. I started with a Boss CE-5, but it seemed too subtle. I'm currently using the MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe, and it's working, but it still seems too subtle, somewhat cold and "sterile", and I can't seem to make it play well with dirt. I run my OD/distortion/fuzz before it in the chain.

I've recently bought the Hardwire Tube Overdrive and Valve Distortion pedals, and I really like them. I'm interested in the chorus from the same series, and I've found a used one on a different classifieds forum for $90. I've seen some good reviews of that pedal on TB, does anyone still think highly of it? Should this pedal get me closer to what I want? I know the Hardwire line is discontinued, but is $90 a good price? I found the Tube OD and Valve Dist. for $50 each.

If it helps, I primarily use a Fender P/J bass with flats, into a Mesa Boogie M6 Carbine.
  2. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

Chorus is one of the most discussed effect on this forum. A search will provide countless threads discussing the merits of this or that chorus, such as this one:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/mxr-m83-vs-tech-21-boost-chorus-1029435/

I, for one, have through a few chorus pedals and the one I liked better so far is the big yellow 18v MXR Stereo Chorus. My next one will be the BCD, but I would've gladly given the Tech21 unit a spin, board real estate permitting.
  3. James Gibson

James Gibson

I guess I'm more so asking about the Hardwire chorus in particular. I read an old review of the pedal, but it was mostly one TB member speaking, and the thread was pretty short. Does anyone else have experience with this pedal?

Thanks!
  4. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

No experience with that pedal in particular, but if you're looking for other options I would highly recommend the TCE Corona Chorus. Download the Duff toneprint and you'll be up and running.
  5. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

6. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

^^^And since that thread he's now using the Corona Chorus that I mentioned above.
  7. Wireking1

Wireking1 Supporting Member

I am digging my corona chorus as well.
  8. gregmon79

gregmon79 We've come to kill gods...... Supporting Member

+1 for the tech 21 boost chorus. You want lush and more than subtle, go with that. I just picked up a polytope from IE, awesome!! It can get pretty crazy but it also does very lush very vibrant chorus and detuning effects. Great pedal. I've heard many good things about the TC corona chorus as well. These are all great pedals, the IE being a little on the expensive side. If you want to try reverb, chorus and delay, the zoom 70CDR is a great unit for the money, $120 brand new and you get tons of very usable chorus, reverb and delay effects. It also has a corona chorus in it. I have one of those too. The MXR will get pretty lost in the mix due to how subtle it is but it is a great sounding chorus. I ended up selling mine and getting a boss BF3 as I was using the MXR for a flanger. The MXR, again, sounded great but just didn't cut for me in a live setting.
  9. DethByDoom

DethByDoom Supporting Member

If a chorus isn't getting you the sound, maybe try a reverb? I just picked up the Mooer ShimVerb. $100. Pretty amazing little pedal. If I can't get the sound I want from my chorus the ShimVerb will usually get it. And the two together... My chorus is a MIJ Boss CE2 btw. Awesome pedal.