1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Chris Squire and YES nominated for the 2014 R&R Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Freddy-G., Oct 16, 2013.

1. Freddy-G.

Freddy-G. Supporting Member

Finally! I think this is long overdue and can't imagine them not being inducted. But I'm a long-time fan so maybe I'm a little biased. I can see the stage now, crowded with present and past members of the band. I definitely want to see this show when it is broadcast.

Also glad to see Deep Purple and Peter Gabriel are nominated.

Vote for 5 of your favorite nominees here:
    http://www.rockhall.com/get-involved/interact/poll/
  2. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

Yes, Purple & Gabriel need to get in this time around
  3. georgiagoodie

georgiagoodie It's all fun&games 'til the flying monkees show up Supporting Member

4. johnpbass

johnpbass

Being a long time, die hard Yes fan, I would hope they tell the R&R HOF thanks, but no thanks!
  5. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

YES
    DEEP PURPLE
    PETER GABRIEL

These are all overdue.

The problem with Yes is there are literally 20 different people who have played in that band and that is not including the ABWH version of Yes. So who get's inducted?
  6. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

Get everyone who's ever been in Yes on the stage - minus Peter Banks of course - RIP
  7. Freddy-G.

Even though he was never a member of YES, it would be cool to see Tony Levin on stage with them, since he played on the ABWH album. But, ABWH is not YES -- close, but no cigar. ;) Apparently, Squire is the only member that has legal authority to use the YES name. For example (and correct me if I am wrong), on the Drama album, Squire was the only original member of YES on the album.
  8. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Well, the poll lets you see the results, and as of this posting Yes is in the top 5, so here's hoping...

Right now it's showing me Nirvana at 15%, KISS at 14%, Deep Purple at 11%, Yes at 10%, and Peter Gabriel at 9% (rounding off all the decimals). Which is about how I figured it would be, except I think Hall and Oates deserve a higher standing.
  9. SpasticFingers

SpasticFingers

IIRC, Levin does appear on the Union album, as it resulted from the fractioned band reuniting, with the efforts of the former bands appearing on the tracks that they had formerly worked. IMHO, it was the only album from post-pop Yes that was worthy of the Yes name.

As for the HOF, Wenner and his industry minions have all but delegitimized the institution with their decisions to lionize genres that never PRETENDED to represent rock, while ignoring acts based upon nothing more than personal agendas. Ignoring Grand Funk Railroad, a band that ruled the airwaves,ticketsales and tastes of a generation - while including Grand Master Flash, Run DMC, Madonna, and Donna Summer, are just a small sample of the Hall's negligence.

There is zero reason to worry about specific band personel, the hall actually decides that... Witness Anthony Phillips being left out of Genesis.

One last pet peeve is The Moody Blues and King Crimson - both of these bands are more than worthy. In fact, I wouldnt put it past Fripp to refuse to acknowledge the "honor", having no respect for its history.
  10. Freddy-G.

Hear! Hear!
    Or +1, if you prefer.
    Long live The Moody Blues and King Crimson! Mighty giants indeed! :bassist:
  11. Freddy-G.

From their website:
    http://www.yesworld.com/2013/08/yes-at-the-rock-roll-hall-of-fame/

I hope and pray that Jon Anderson will perform with YES again in the future. I sorely miss him -- not only his for voice, but also for his role as a band leader, song writer, and his ability to make each performance a unique experience; a celebration (both physical and spiritual) of life through music. Namaste. :)
  12. JLY

JLY Supporting Member Supporting Member

1. Purple-no need to explain
    2. Yes- no need to explain
    3. Nirvana - not even my favorite grunge band
    but they were pioneers and the face of that
    Genre/ at least for me
    4. Hall & Oates - before they went completely pop,
    Their first several albums had a ton of soul
    along with great writing and musicianship
    I saw them back in '79 and they were incredible
    Live
    5. Gabriel - no need to explain.

If Nirvana gets in-who would sing and play
    Cobains' parts?
  13. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

The Meters are LONG overdue.
  14. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

RRHOF is a joke.
  15. corinpills

corinpills

It's as much of a joke as any other Hall Of Fame in any other field, I suppose. If there is a rock and roll hall, nominating Yes and Kiss is long overdue. The Replacements are a big pleasant surprise to me and it makes me feel pretty old.

Great to see Peter Gabriel recognized. Is Genesis already in?
  16. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

And Rush was long overdue. Yet The Furious Five have been in for how long? Like I said, it's a joke.

Yes should tell them to shove it. I wish Rush would have. At least Alex gave them a bit of flack at the ceremony.
  17. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

There is always a surge in sales of an artists catalog when they get in the R&R Hall of Fame, it's hard to turn your back on that cash.
  18. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Wait, the HOF can nominate/induct a band...but then further specify who's in the band?!?!? That's beyond insipid.
  19. Orangeclawhamme

Orangeclawhamme

Furthermore, it will continue to be a joke until there is a Captain Beefheart wing!!!
  20. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

The Hall Of Shame.
    They don't deserve to exist.
    What a joke.