Chris Squire Signature

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fourstringsonly, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Fourstringsonly

Fourstringsonly

I don`t recall how much these were when they first came out,but the price of these things used are just blowing my mind...about $4,000...isn`t that nuts?
  2. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member Supporting Member

As I recall I paid around $1,000 - $1,100 for mine, though it was long time ago and memory is fuzzy.
  3. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

They ranged from 2000$ to over 6000$ at some point. These days, 4000$ sounds like a lot, but it also depends on the condition of the bass. These suffered from discoloration and pickguards cracks, etc. so beware before you buy one of these beasts!
  4. 4001

I paid $1188.00 out the door at GC in April 1991. I have #15.
    Here it is hanging with one of it's friends...
    [​IMG]
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

I remember Danny Carey of Tool trying to buy up some as they game up for sale because Paul D'Amour played one (Danny also bought up some Wals).
  7. Buster Brown

Buster Brown

Back about '93 or so I was in Vegas and happened into Ed Roman's place. He had a CS there. I played it for about 10 minutes and asked the price.

$1,800

I STILL kick myself in the ass every day for not grabbing it then.........:scowl:

Dumb, dumb, dumb......
  8. Peace Cee

Peace Cee

It's Chris freakin Squire. In a Roundabout way he saying that his bass is no disgrace. Man that guy who passed up the deal is the owner of a lonely heart, not a CS Rick. I had to do it. You're all good people. Dangit I can't stop!
  9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

When they quit making these the price went up. They can be bought on ebay for $2000 to $4000 ... usually closer to $4000

[​IMG]
  10. 254 stringer

254 stringer Supporting Member

I didn't know Danny was into basses.
  11. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

I don't think he plays bass. Just collects what his bandmates play.
  12. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

I owned 4001CS #786 about 12 years ago when I was in a YES tribute band. I had purchased it brand new a few years prior to that for somewhere around $2000 (can't remember exactly how much I paid). I sold it in 2004 for around $2200.

When I met Chris Squire in 2001, I told him I had a 4001CS, and he asked me how it sounded. My response to him was, "it sounds good, but when I play mine it never seems to sound as good as when you play yours." He smiled.
  13. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member Supporting Member

:bassist: Great comment!
  14. rekesbass

rekesbass

love that double neck...very nice
  15. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

There was a really nice one in alocal GC a few years ago for $4500. Someone actually STOLE IT!!. Can't figure out how they got it out the door, past the sentry, but sure enough, some scumbag got one for nothing. Karma will get him, if it hasn't already.
  16. Misty Mountain

Misty Mountain

I remember seeing one a long time ago in a Daddy's for under $1k. Used. A lot of money at the time, but seemed like a good deal. I didn't buy it. Or Apple stock when it was under $8/share...
  17. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Have you checked the Apple stocks lately.... goin' down !!!
    I had an opportunity to buy a used CS for 1700$ a few years back. Each time that I look at one online, I kick myself for letting that one go !!!
  18. rickwebb

rickwebb

In 1998, i came across a CS Sig in the local Boutique shop (now defunct). $1300 was the asking price, if i remember correctly. Tried it out... and passed. Wish i hadn't now...
  19. RobJ

RobJ Supporting Member

I bought mine towards the end of the run, don't recall the number now, but I think I paid $1200 - $1300 for it. Great bass too.
  20. 4001

That had to be well planned out. You cannot go out the door at my local GC's without being watched closely.
  21. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

$1,800 was a TON of money back in '93. I wouldn't have paid that kind of dough for that bass at that time.

Did Ed Roman have a shop in Vegas in '93?? As I recall, he was doing buisiness in CT back then.

* Damn. Back in '93, $1,800 would get you a nice '62 Jazz bass.