1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Chris Squire vs Geddy Lee

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by theobass416, Jul 6, 2011.

1. theobass416

theobass416

I want to know which bass master you like better. I know one isnt better than the other because you cant really judge that but i want to know which player you like more and why.

2. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Both are reasons that my first bass was a 4001. Both have that certain it that any great musician posesses. Squire's lines tend to be more "classical" in nature and Geddy's are more unconventional - some really angular and interesting choices there. Squire uses a pick and Ged his fingers; I'm a fingers-only player. I guess Geddy scores some points in my book for the pain and suffering it takes to develop and maintain those callouses and his ability to generate tone that way, but I don't want to make this about that tired argument.

I suppose I should add that I'm really basing my thoughts here on work done up until about 1981 or so, as I don't have any of either bassist since that time, but I spent many an hour in the 70s and early 80s listening to both.

If you asked me which band would I rather listen to (again, pre-1982), I'd say Yes. If you asked me which bass player I'd rather listen to in isolation, I'd go with Geddy.

3. rockstarsmd

rockstarsmd

+1 for my first bass being a 4001. Mine was black: you do the math.

Chris Squire is a terrific player who sings like a bird in the harmony-rich context of a very choral band. Geddy Lee is a god who plays and sings better than any two people should be able, all whilst pounding out keyboard bits with his freakin' feet.

sunfighter likes this.
  4. bellis1

bellis1

I'm gunna have to go with Geddy on this one. His phrasing is terrific.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

As a player... there is some YES stuff that floors me when I try to sing and play it. I can conceptualize Geddys playing far more quickly than some of Squires stuff.

This is taking all keyboard work out of the equation.

7. darkstorm

darkstorm

Chriss Squire. His playing with Yes which combined with their music as pioneering prog rock band, cant be beat imo. Geddy is good bass player, but it wouldnt surprise me at all if he said Squire inspired him somewhat to. Geddy Lee would be one of the 3 bass players I like who use Rick bass. The other two being Squire and lemmy of moterhead. Lol.

8. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

I would vote for Squire, maybe it's just that I'm an old Yes fan (but I love Rush too). To my (amateur) ear, Geddy's playing is very technical, very quick, and really brilliant, to be sure. Chris Squire's playing is more melodic, counterpointing the guitar or keys. Maybe it's just that I know the Yes catalog better, but I think there are a lot more Yes songs than Rush songs where you could recognize the song just from the bass line, like it's an alternative melody.

9. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Easy. I love Chris, hate Geddy.

10. the yeti

the yeti

geddy wins this celebrity deathmatch by hatchet, ax, and saw.

11. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

^^^^^^^^
    This.

Without Geddy Lee and Rush, I wouldn't be half the player I am now. Every time I see them live, too, I'm blown away because of the unnatural way these guys are in their 50's and entering a SECOND PRIME. They're better than ever! As much as I love Yes, and Squire's tone may be better, Geddy really sets the bar for me every time he plays. I still can't play YYZ right.....

12. WalterBush

WalterBush

I love them both, but I'll pick Geddy simply because Rush has written more songs that I like listening to on a regular basis. I've spent a lot of time learning his lines, and they helped me become a better player.

I recently watched 9021Live and the Yes 35th anniversary concerts with my kids. I prefer Geddy's playing, but Squire has definitely had more consistent monster tone going on live.

But still, Geddy hands down :bassist:

13. Hifiguy

Hifiguy

CS was one of my primary inspirations to play bass and I was a huge Yes fan for a decade or so and still like the older stuff. I played a Ric with a pick for 20 years because of him. I was never hugely into Rush but have always admired GL's playing and versatility. I studied organ for a few years, and the Bach counterpoint that got pounded into my head really let me appreciate Squire's abilty to structure countermelodies.

Two great bassists and I have nothing but the utmost respect for them both, but Chris is my "favorite" of the two.

14. the yeti

the yeti

i dunno, i've never been hung up on the lyrics...:meh:

makes for some :eek:,:D, and sometimes :crying: or :bag: at shows.

15. N.F.A.

N.F.A. Supporting Member

Squire for me. Love 'em both though.

16. the yeti

the yeti

oooh, that was a dirty trick. hatchet is right... and you got me anyway! told ya i'm not hung up on the lyrics.:confused:

17. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

Agreed, though I came up through piano and using a JBass w/a pick. Thankfully it's simply a matter of personal preference for they're both outstanding musicians, no contest there :bassist:

18. Nick901

Nick901 Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    GTA dealer for Acoustic USA
    I'd have to say Chris Squire. He is amazing.

19. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Both great players and probably my two biggest influences, but in my book its Geddy. I probably play more similarly to Squire though as I play with a pick alot, but I just love Geddy's phrasing and most of the tones he has had (not live though!)

20. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti

Disclosures:
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    IMO, I think that Chris is a better player. A lot of his singing is over crazy complicated (to me, anyway) bass playing.

A lot of what Geddy is playing kinda flows with what he's playing and he goes off when there are no vocals.

2 of my absolute favorite basses but I like Geddy's feel and Rush's songs a little better. I've owned a few Black Rics and 1 or 2 white Rics. I wish I still had one of each. :)

21. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Hahaha, I read that and was thinking "now where have I heard that phrase before?"

Both are excellent in their own rights, both highly influential in bass-world, yet they have slightly different roles in their bands, so I think it'd be really hard to compare. I think at that point its more of a question of whether you like Rush or Yes better than the other.