1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

chris wolstenholme signature bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Greyjorio, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Greyjorio

Greyjorio

Hi, new member here! I do not know if there is already a thread on this, but I couldn't find one. Anyway here is the signature bass http://www.status-graphite.com/status/frames/chris_wolstenholme.html It looks pretty bad-ss and it seems like it would be amazing to play. However, has anyone seen any reviews or even know if this is released?

Also, I have been saving money up for a while now (I am 17 years old) to purchase a nice beautiful ric bass but am looking into my other options at that price range. While I love the ric bass and its unique sounds, it is not a good slap bass as far as I know and I also really like playing slap as well. I am wondering if this status bass could be a good alternative, however I do not know much about status basses in general. Any help would be amazing :)

2. obimark

obimark

Get a USA P-Bass, it will DO everything you need, slap, fingers, etc.

3. honotron

honotron

I do thibk the s2 status would be a good choice but the graphite is just a gimmick really as is the leds.
    Dont get a fender, theres much better basses for less money. Get something with good electronics & a decent amp, Don't worry about things like neck / body wood...nobody in the crowd can hear the difference.

4. j.kernodle

j.kernodle Supporting Member

I don't really think graphite necks are a gimmick. nor will a P bass sound anything like that bass.

very cool looking status there. any idea what the street price will be?

I like the pickup placement with it being moved away from the bridge. the bridge pickup on two humbucker basses can be way too close for fingerstyle thumb anchoring.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    Status Graphite basses are amazing. If you can afford to get one, I highly recommend it.
    Graphite is no gimmick. It's got a durability, tone, and feel that are undeniable. And Rob Green is the master of it!

The slap tone is extraordinary. And there's really no such thing as a BAD Status, as they are all made incredibly well. Good luck finding one, though. VERY RARE!

7. pmaraziti

pmaraziti Gold Supporting Member

I own now 2... i was among skeptics, but playability is over the top (and I did own some pretty gear before), tone is amazing and very flexible. I will not go back, I will always keep one (or two!) Status in the stable

If you after vintage sound (and look) maybe you should stay away from them. I own also a nice P-bass and no, it can not do what Status basses do, nor Status can do the old P bass sound.

Not sure if many in the audience might tell the difference (especially when I run them through my massive chain of effects( but I do, and this is important to me!

8. BassBus

BassBus

While a P bass will on;y sound like a P, try putting flats on a Status. Solo the front pickup and you get the most wonderful, warm, full sound you could ever hope for. But then, I biased as I have three of the things.

They are available at twenty weeks notice. Rob Green & Co. will make one especially for you for the price of 2395 of our British pounds or $3856

9. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Graphite definitely isn't gimmicky. It's a great material that has it's own unique tone and characteristics that's different from wood. I'm actually beginning to prefer it over wood :bag:

10. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician Supporting Member

What are you talking about? If you're upset with LED's don't take it out on graphite or wood.

11. Margus Alviste

Margus Alviste

I have had a few Status basses and I must say that while their playability is superb and you are not going to have tuning nor neck tweaking problems the sound can be a bit thin (I say that as a sound engineer and bass player).
    What I discovered in 1992 was the Germain bass maker Bogart. They used composite materials for the neck and also the body but the basses sounded very aggressive, biting but woody. The prices were high though. I recently bought an old one that sounds extremely good even compared with my high end basses. The slap tone is poor heaven! And the low mids bite very painfully! :)
    Unfortunately they quit their business a while ago but... The good news is - they are back in business.Check them out:
    http://www.bogart-bass.de/
    Their prices have gone down due to the fact that they sell direct. Very-very good all around basses! And (sorry to say) much better playing and sounding than my old Status basses.
    Ask any kind of information directly from the founder Stefan Heß who happens to be one of nicest guys in the business. Hey, and don't forget to say hello from Margus Alviste! :)

PS! My Bogart sounds even better than my 62 Jazz! :)

12. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil Supporting Member

I know little and less about the Status basses (they do seem rather well-made, though!), but as far as a Ric not being good for slap.... well, Rick James definitely used one, and I've never had trouble slapping on mine either. But I think b/w a Ric or a Status, you'd have a really nice bass in your hands

13. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky Supporting Member

lol,
    yes as we know, all Pees sound just like a Status graphite,
    lol,

lol

14. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky Supporting Member

in my non-moran replying post,
    i'm not surprised they finally gave him a sig ax. he being in that band gets them a ton of exposure, much like Matt and his Mansons.

15. hover

hover Banned

If that neck was fitted to a very bold grained ash version of that same exact body, and all other variables the same, I would buy it in a second. Sweet Jesus that's a nice lookin bass.

16. mooreon131

mooreon131

If I were you, I'd go with a Fender Jazz. It does everything you need and more. Chris Wolstenholme played a Jazz for the majority of Muse's existance. They're great for finger-style, pick-style, slap, fuzz tones, and any genre.

17. iuserneim

iuserneim

that's true. SKC bogart basses really sound amazing. never played a status though. but had a few graphite necked basses and i really dig that material. plus, it's sturdy as hell, and never moves and hardly detunes...