1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Christmas Gift Buying Assistance

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MatticusMania, Nov 30, 2012.

1. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME! Supporting Member

If any of you are like me, sometimes we are left at a loss when it comes to choosing others [DEL]Christmas[/DEL], er, Holiday Gifts :D, so here is a thread for asking/making suggestions should anyone need help.

Go ahead and list what youre giving and to whom.
    If youre clueless as to what you should get someone, list their age and known interests.
    Feel free to make suggestions, and keep in mind this is the internet, so jokes are bound to be made.
  2. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

Butcher's block for my parents, chipping in with my parents for a decent violin bow for my sister. Those are the only gifts I'm giving this year.
  3. bassinplace

bassinplace

4. MatticusMania

Im mulling over what to get my nieces, aged 6, 12, and 16. Im thinking about getting them an ice cream maker. Not like a kitchen appliance, but something fun and made for youths. I mean, they have to all like ice cream, right?
  5. MatticusMania

I bought the girls the DVD last year!
  6. Tat2dHeart

Tat2dHeart Gold Supporting Member

My shopping is done for all of my family. Last minute I decided to pick up gifts for a couple of friends though - my sticking point is - what do you get that's personal and tasteful for a guy who's a really good friend, but when you don't want send any kind of additional "personal" messages? I don't want them reading too much into the fact that I got them a gift in the first place.
  7. bassinplace

bassinplace

Of course! I think it's a good call!

Nice! I dig Vince!

Well, I know it's Christmas and all, but if you're worried about unintended messages, I'd skip it. Not trying to be a humbug, just sayin'.
  8. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

My wife and I don't buy for each other or any adults in the family. We get to spend time together going to movies, out to dinner, decorating our house, spending time with friends and family, baking for our nieghboors etc. We think it is a lot more fun than shopping and returning gifts aftewards. I never could figure out why she always returned those mini skirts I gave here. :p I don't know yet what we will be getting for the kids in the family, I'm sure thier parents will tell us.
  9. agent77

agent77 Tin Foil Hat Wearer Supporting Member

Christmas shopping is going to be tough this year. My brother dropped cable and went with Netflix, and Netflix doesn't have commercials. No commercials=kids that don't know about any new toys.

Yesterday I asked my 4 year old nephew what he asked Santa for. His response: "I forgot."

Maybe I'll just get the kids a Toys R Us gift card.
  10. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

I'm done shopping!

For my 12 year old sister, a starter telescope, scented markers, and a little chocolate fondue fountain.

For my older sister, 28, a glass Marvel comics wall clock and some kitchen stuff.

Niece, 6: a craft jewelry kit.

Nephew, 3: big Matchbox dump truck.

For my mom, a Dodge Superbee wall clock, a set of salt and pepper shakers, some classic candy, die-cast model cars, and a scale replica of a vintage Dodge car hauler...and a book on driving etiquette.

Finally, for my guitarist, a BBE wah pedal, some real glass Coricidin bottle guitar slides, and candy.

I'm almost tapped out on funds, but I'm still going to try to sponsor a kid or two from the angel tree (basically a tree with tags hanging on it, each with a kid's age, gender, interests, and a list of things they need. It's basically like secret santa shopping for a kid who wouldn't be getting anything otherwise).
  11. fjadams

fjadams Supporting Member

Well, I know what one present I'm getting is. My boy and DIL are giving me a grandson, don't really need much more.

Told the boy I was getting him a 1000 pack of Newborn Huggies. Practical gifts are always best.

My best friend and I always take each other out to eat, about the only time we don't argue about whose turn it is to pay. Her daughter is getting Legos, and my used 16" laptop (perfect condition) external mouse, keyboard, monitor, cooling fan, probably 3 in 1 printer to go with it. She's 10 1/2 and doesn't have one for school work.
  12. Kwesi

Kwesi Supporting Member

Hobbies? Interests? What TV shows does he like? Does he play video games? What kinda music does he dig?
  13. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

When in doubt, gift card...

Or one of those prepaid Visa things. Sure it's not as thoughtful as some other choices, but I know I'd appreciate it more than any horrid Christmas sweater...
  14. Kwesi

Kwesi Supporting Member

I gotta argue against this. Giftcards are THE WORST. Nothing is worse than having $25 to spend at a store you want nothing from. Those prepaid Visas are infinitely better.
  15. Tat2dHeart

Tat2dHeart Gold Supporting Member

Nah - I'm not skipping it. Through the year, I've surprised them with stuff like random concert t-shirts and things I've found in my travels that I thought were cool for no reason at all, so to skip over this would feel wrong to me. These are my friends, and this is just the way I am. I want to do something nice that they'll appreciate - I just don't want them thinking that I want to date them or anything.

Fishing, video games, music (and more music), travel, all kinds of hobbies. I have no idea no idea what they watch on TV - I've never watched TV with them. Video games - yeah, but I have no idea which ones. And let's just cross all the gamuts of music because this is more than one friend I'm talking about, but they're all guys and they're all musicians.

Uh...no. No giftcards. These are people I know well enough to buy a more personal gift (and I'd never buy an ugly Christmas sweater, not even for my dog), but I don't want it to be so personal that it crosses over into the "does she want me to ask her on a date" line of thinking. Most of the guys I know are pretty bad at hints and subtlety, but I'd rather not take any chances.
  16. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Okay, okay, no giftcards :bag:

I guess I just thought hey, if I'd get one from the usual spots I frequent already (Target, Macy's, Best Buy, etc.) that's $25 I can scrape off the bill...

Kwesi, agreed...Visa > Store Giftcard

Tat2dHeart, yeah for sure...totally wouldn't get one for someone of personal significance (though maybe for a Secret Santa or something). lol at the subtlety thing, I know the type :D
  17. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

a gift for all ;)
    [​IMG]
  18. tplyons

tplyons

Getting my brother a new electric razor... as far as the parents, no ideas yet.
  19. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Go with something stereotypically masculine that they know you don't have an interest in.
  20. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

Go browse thinkgeek, plenty of cool little toy-gadgets for gamers and anybody :p