1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Christmas Oratorio sight-reading

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by Snufkin, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Snufkin

Snufkin

Oh, hi!

Apparently, I'm sightreading BWV 248(aka. The Christmas Oratorio) saturday(for funsies, no public performance). Seeing as it's still nice to be(kind of) prepared - is there anything in the bass part one ought to be aware of or check out beforehand?

For those wondering, the intention is to go through the whole thing - all six cantatas.

2. Dbass926

Dbass926

You can most likely get the continuo part from IMSLP and look over it there. You may not even have to print it out, but you'll know what you're in for. I've never met a Bach part I didn't prefer to spend _some_ time on...

3. Snufkin

Snufkin

I have the part - the question was more whether there's something specific I should figure out. Having skimmed the part, the answer so far seems to be "everything"

4. G-force

G-force

just be aware that although there is a bass part for each number/section, the bass does not always play. For example ther is a flute solo mvt with cello pizz acc. some condutors want the bass some do´nt.
    Most of the time the bass is playing exactly as the cello but there are a few where you will sit out depending on the singers and the conductor.
    Otherwise it is pretty straight forward.

I play this piece EVERY year in its entirety.

Have fun and good luck.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. David Potts

David Potts

Have a very good sleep beforehand, take your vitamins, have a pocketful of energy food, clean your glasses well, sit to play, etc....

Seriously though, even the excerpt numbers that I played recently became a test of physical endurance because I often played constantly for two pages before going back (Da Capo al Fine). Are you the only bass player? Ask the conductor about not playing when one cello is sufficient to accompany the female (and male?) soloists in recitatives or in arias where they enter after the Tutti orchestra introductions. Depending on your edition you might see Vcl. above the stave then later +D.B. + Bsn (bassoon).

Good luck, enjoy and all the best for 2014!!

DP

7. BMason

BMason

Seems to be the right answer.