christopher 303 double bass care, owner histories

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by SeBass LoBoss, Jan 17, 2014.

1. SeBass LoBoss

SeBass LoBoss

Hi, a complete newbie in this forum
    So , I recently bought a christopher 303 doublebass , Its my first ever hybrid after having only laminated basses, so now I am starting to get a little scared not by handling care but for humidity and temperature conditions, could you guide my in the care issues of the instrument? is it really THAT big of a deal or I can get away with most of the things you do with a laminated one ? i currently live in a very humid apartement (planing to change to a normal one in a month) in france in a very humid city near the atlantic like 500 Km south of paris, anyway, what do you recomend, can I play outdoors with it ? I just want to hear experiences bad and good from actual owners that dont give that royal excesive maniatical care to their double bass, I am happy to give it to it if it really needs it, I just dont want to stress too much and I would like to play in the streets with it ONCE IN A WHILe, I have an an electric double bass for that anyway:cool:, but you know, its cooler with the doghouse, thanks

2. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

How humid is "very humid"? Usually high humidity isn't nearly as bad on a bass as low humidity, although sudden changes either way aren't good.

3. SeBass LoBoss

SeBass LoBoss

I get mushrooms on the walls, thats how humid , Ill be leaving soon thou, sometimes I hear a buzz on the bass, I know that Always happens, like with my old laminated ones always did, and drove me crazy , just trying to find where its from, I kinda pushed the top a little and it stopped, I think its not thaat baad , anyway. I saw a thread in hybrid versus laminated practicality and I think it calmed me down (saying that even some carved ones dont deserve that much attention, I always keep it in the case at night, thanks for the answer, nice jams

4. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Yes, that is high humidity. I might try to temper that a little bit to avoid having mushrooms growing in your bass. I'd get a humidity gauge and a dehumidifier, and try to keep it around 60% or less. And take steps to avoid sudden changes in the air humidity the bass is in.

The area around Bordeaux is known as having a mild overall climate, as far as temperature is concerned. I would think playing outside would be fine, although I would try to avoid it on days where the temperature was extreme in either direction.

5. Register to disable this ad