1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

christopher 303 double bass care, owner histories

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by SeBass LoBoss, Jan 17, 2014.

1. SeBass LoBoss

SeBass LoBoss

Hi, a complete newbie in this forum
    So , I recently bought a christopher 303 doublebass , Its my first ever hybrid after having only laminated basses, so now I am starting to get a little scared not by handling care but for humidity and temperature conditions, could you guide my in the care issues of the instrument? is it really THAT big of a deal or I can get away with most of the things you do with a laminated one ? i currently live in a very humid apartement (planing to change to a normal one in a month) in france in a very humid city near the atlantic like 500 Km south of paris, anyway, what do you recomend, can I play outdoors with it ? I just want to hear experiences bad and good from actual owners that dont give that royal excesive maniatical care to their double bass, I am happy to give it to it if it really needs it, I just dont want to stress too much and I would like to play in the streets with it ONCE IN A WHILe, I have an an electric double bass for that anyway:cool:, but you know, its cooler with the doghouse, thanks
  2. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

How humid is "very humid"? Usually high humidity isn't nearly as bad on a bass as low humidity, although sudden changes either way aren't good.
  3. SeBass LoBoss

SeBass LoBoss

I get mushrooms on the walls, thats how humid , Ill be leaving soon thou, sometimes I hear a buzz on the bass, I know that Always happens, like with my old laminated ones always did, and drove me crazy , just trying to find where its from, I kinda pushed the top a little and it stopped, I think its not thaat baad , anyway. I saw a thread in hybrid versus laminated practicality and I think it calmed me down (saying that even some carved ones dont deserve that much attention, I always keep it in the case at night, thanks for the answer, nice jams
  4. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Yes, that is high humidity. I might try to temper that a little bit to avoid having mushrooms growing in your bass. I'd get a humidity gauge and a dehumidifier, and try to keep it around 60% or less. And take steps to avoid sudden changes in the air humidity the bass is in.

The area around Bordeaux is known as having a mild overall climate, as far as temperature is concerned. I would think playing outside would be fine, although I would try to avoid it on days where the temperature was extreme in either direction.