Christopher Double bass's

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by fatgoogle, Dec 15, 2009.

1. fatgoogle

fatgoogle

Hi again.
    After my first thread i bought a Double bass locally and now 6 months later im regretting it. Ill need to spend another couple of hundred for it to be made perfectly playable.
    So i was thinking Better to get something nice to learn that makes easier on the ears and easier to play to make the whole experience more fun. So selling my double bass quiet cheaply and then with my parents help buy something better around 1500 euro at the most, as i am now lead double bass player in the youth orchestra and am improving rapidly.
    So looking at double bass;s im thinking along the lines of one of these hybrid Christopher's.
    Like:
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/christopher_db_204_kontrabass_3_4.htm
    They do look very good to me.

Also
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/thomann_kontrabass_33_02.htm
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/thomann_kontrabass_1_e_34.htm
    I believe the last one their is made by a reputable eastern European Maker of double bass's, i cant remember the name though.

Ive also seen Makes such as bellafina in America that look very nice but cant get them shipped.

Does anyone have any advice.

Thanks
    Sam H

2. kurt ratering

kurt ratering

Disclosures:
    bass luthier, johnson string inst.
    we rent those christopher hybrids and the shen hybrids. i think that the shen beats the pants off of the christopher, when speaking of hybrids. for plys id reverse that statement.

3. fatgoogle

fatgoogle

4. longfinger

longfinger

Hey there,

I looked at your old posts, and at that time you were looking at a local sale of a Cremona and later a Strunal. Which did you actually get?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fatgoogle

fatgoogle

Neither, in the end the Strunal sold and i was told the cremona was crap so in desperation i went and bought a Antoni locally.

7. ctcruiser

ctcruiser

I have a Chrissy hybrid and am very happy with it. I get a lot of positive comments about the sound.

8. fatgoogle

fatgoogle

9. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

I dig the Christophers. They are well made, and generally have a good sound. I have gigged quite a bit with the few I have owned, and haven't had any problems at all. Get a good set up, and they are solid instruments.

10. jon3673

jon3673 Supporting Member

I think that you can be very happy with a Christopher bass. However, I would recommend that you purchase the DB304 that has a carved top, rather than the DB204 with a plywood top that is shown in your example web page. I think you will find the sound is very much better and the cost only a little more.
    I have been using a 7/8 size DB304 Busetto (5 string) for about 10 years and dearly love its sound. Another friend recently purchased a 3/4 size DB302 (Gamba) and is also very pleased.

11. hensonbass

hensonbass

I picked up one of these basses used a few months ago and it sounds great. It has most certainly exceeded my expectations.

12. Rick Auvil

Rick Auvil

I've had a Model 304 Christopher Busetto for about 5 years. Had a scroll break, fixed it, and it's solid as a rock. The sound is still great and it seems to get better each month. I'm trying to sell it to get a 5-string. I highly recommend the Chrissy as a reasonably priced, solid instrument!

13. Schindler

Schindler

can you explain/expand on this comment? I am in the market at this price range - Thanks

14. kurt ratering

kurt ratering

Disclosures:
    bass luthier, johnson string inst.
    what would you like to know? i think that the shen hybrids are better made, and to my ear anyways, sound much richer in tone than the chrissy hybrids. maybe its the stock we have or the stings on em, but whatever it is, they are just more pleasing to my ears. however, the chrissy plys are much louder (not always better i guess) and considerably lighter in weight than the shens. the shen 80/90s in my opinion, dont have as nice of a low end as the chrissys.

15. Rick Auvil

Rick Auvil

Like I mentioned, I own a Christopher Busetto 304 and a Shen SB 180 - both hybrids. The Christopher lows are booming nice because it's a bit older and "played in", but the Shen has a more solid feel, nicer finish, and slightly better playability (mostly due to Nick Lloyd's monster set-up!) Frankly, I like them both. In my case, it just depends on how much low end I want. Play them both with a good set-up and see which you like best. Either is a decent bass.