chrod progression question

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by 1dreday, Oct 9, 2013.

1. 1dreday

1dreday Supporting Member

i'm trying to figure out the best way to learn, I can read tab, but i'm told its not the best way to go, and I have a complete list of scales, so i'm learning those, but I've also heard I should learn chords, or chord progressions, so any input on if this is true or how to go abouts learning these, greatly appreciated.
    dre'
  2. 1dreday

3. 1dreday

4. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Yes I dare say 85% of what we do is follow the chords and play their chord tones in our bass line. The old saying; "Root on one" has value. But, to do that you need to know what chords are used in the song and in what order.

Until you ear can tell you this I suggest you hunt for chord charts on the songs you want to play. I use fake chord sheet music. Lead sheet is also a good source of the chords used in songs.

Do a Google on; Guitar chords, "name of the song" the comma and quote marks help in the search. Fake chord will have the lyrics with chord names over the part of the lyrics that that chord harmonizes. Say a Cmaj7 chord is coming up in the song. Sound the C note to the beat of the song. F chord coming next, yep sound the F note, etc. See what you can do with just root notes and come back with questions.

I bet you know the tune to this, yea with fake chord it helps if you know the tune so you can sing along with the sheet music - must I sing? It'll help - sing the lyrics so you know when to change chords. http://www.e-chords.com/chords/israel-kamakawiwoole/somewhere-over-the-rainbow You can sign under your breath, but, you need something to keep up with the lyrics being sung in the song. Normally one beat (one root note) per lyric syllable. See what you can do.

Good luck.
  5. bigboy_78

bigboy_78

The best way to learn is to get a teacher.

Other than that, learn the names of the open strings and the notes on each fret. (E,F#,G,G# etc). Then learn some simple tunes using a chord chart and root notes. If it’s a chord with A in its name (Am, A, Adim, A+, A- whatever) play A. If it has a D in its name play D. You don’t need to concern yourself too much with Major/Minor when you're only play roots.

Now you can play some songs. Join a band. That’s the whole point of playing.

Learn the major scale. Ignore all other scales until you know everything you possibly can about the major scale and how chords are created.

See you in a few months
  6. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

not sure where/when I stumbled across this, but have found it helpful when in a situation where I am not sure where the tune is going when not familiar with it, or helping to figure something out ... again, nothing carved in stone for sure, but just one more tool in the bag to help along the way ...these sound pretty natural

1 chord > anywhere
    2 chord > 5 seventh
    3 chord > 6
    4 chord > 1 and/or 5 seventh
    5 seventh chord > 1
    6 chord > 2
  7. aprod

aprod

8. 1dreday

wow that actually makes sense to me, look out hee haw here I come,