Chrome Pickup Cover - Threaded Inserts?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Red_Merkin, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Red_Merkin

Red_Merkin

I just bought a Squier CV Jazz, and I want to install a chrome pickup cover, because I like using them as a thumb rest (also, they look cool :D). My problem is that the routing runs right under where the bottom screw would go.

I feel like this might cause a problem with the bottom screw not having enough material to grab on to, and I was wondering if there might be a threaded insert I could use rather than just running a wood screw into the pick guard and hoping for the best.

Also, if I was to keep the cover off for any length of time, I think the inserts would look a lot cleaner that just having two gaping holes there, so I'm really hoping this idea is viable.

So anybody tried this? Have any tips on installation? Recommendations on what hardware to use? Any help is appreciated!

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Bolting behind the plate could be an option.
    Otherwise threaded inserts are a clean solution.

3. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Professional Luthier
    There aren't many kinds of threaded inserts that will work well in pickguard material. The vinyl is too soft and the inserts will pull out or spin.

If you have the clearance underneath, the neatest way to add the threads is to make up a small plate from 1/8" thick brass. Drill and tap the threaded hole in it for the screw size that you are going to use. Then epoxy the brass plate onto the back side of the pickguard. Use a waxed screw threaded into the plate to get it lined up with the screw hole in the pickguard.

Brass is my favorite material for threaded anchors, because it's nearly impossible for it to seize up on steel or stainless screws, even if they are rusted.

4. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

If the rout is directly under where the screw would go, you wouldn't have any wood to screw the threaded insert into.

Instead, you could just drill your hole, take the pick guard off, and use a #6 machine screw and a nut to mount the cover to the pick guard on that side, then use a regular wood screw or threaded insert on the other.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Batmensch

Batmensch

Calling SurferJoe46!! Joe screwed a piece of wood (looked a bit like a piece of thumb rest) in the rout just under where the cover screwed into for the cover's screw to bite into. Looks like it works good.
    In my own case, I just screwed it into the pickguard alone and it seems to hold just fine. The only "special" thing I did wass to use a drill bit one size smaller than what I needed, in order to get an initial super tight fit. As long as I don't remove and replace the screw a bunch of times, it should hold for a good long time.

7. barrybass33

barrybass33 Supporting Member

Double stick tape...
    Works for the ramps well.

8. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

I can't see why the pickguard is insufficient for holding screws for the cover.

A pickguard of a standard thickness will hold pots, switches, and the tension of the springs on a strat pickup. As long as you're not using the chrome cover as a carrying handle it should hold without the screw going into the body.

9. Batmensch

Batmensch

^ That's my experience.

10. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

I would be leery of this, long term. The switches and whatnot that you mention have a physical connection on both sides of the PG - think nut and bolt - as opposed to a screw.