1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Chromes or TI flats?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by nukes_da_bass, Dec 31, 2012.

1. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Supporting Member

Hi,
    I just acquired a Veilette fretless arch top 5 string used and I absolutely love it!

I'm not loving the Labella Nylon Tapes however, at all. The B, E, and A are great but the D and G did not cut through at band practice at all. Even with the tone knob dimed!

I'm thinking Chromes Vs. TI Flats. I've used TI flats in the distant past and was bummed out that I couldn't get them to sound "vintage" at all. I do want a low tension flat for this bass, however.

Any ideas would be welcome!
  2. backup

backup

try the low gauge chromes they are pretty loose.
  3. Gasman

Gasman Supporting Member

I'd try Labellas or Roto's. Labellas will have a pretty high tension, though, just like the chromes will. I personally like TI's as well, but it you want the "vintage" sound the Labellas are probably going to be your best bet.
  4. donk

donk Supporting Member

You might look into GHS flats. Not too stiff feeling and great sounding.
  5. nukes_da_bass

Hadn't considered roto jazz... Great string but I wouldn't consider it low tension! Still tempting....
  6. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

Agree. They are the only strings that never get lost in the mix for me.
  7. nukes_da_bass

I went with Chromes. Due to scheduling issues, the first time I will be able to plug in with these strings will be about 9am.
    I love the feel, and they sound good unplugged on a Quasi Hollow bass like this Veilette.
    I really hated the tape wound. They just felt WRONG to my fingers!
    One mans pleasure is another mans poison.
  8. pauliebass

pauliebass Supporting Member

I found I overplayed TI's. As a DB player, I'm not trying to tickle the strings. They truly are great strings though. Chromes are my favorite right now. They break in nicely but keep a little edge for a flat. Tons of mwah for a fretless.
  9. nukes_da_bass

Ok I just got to plug in for a few minutes- I'm digging these Chromes with the tone rolled off! Overall, I dig the bass with the tone rolled back and more piezo than magnetic pickup in the blend-I DID buy it to get as much upright sound as possible after all!
  10. ScottTunes

ScottTunes

I'm here to plug the string I love to hate, and hate to love. There are few among "us" that like this "premium" string...

Pyramid flats are a chrome nickel flat wound, like TI flats, but with just the right amount of tension, and fuller tone. It can take a bit of fussing to get a complete set that works (such is the love/hate of the Pyramid experience), but once settled, they sound AND feel great! Nothing else compares (IME/IMO).

D'Addario Chromes (stainless) flats are nice, but sound more like RWs than flats. The chrome "feel" is very nice!

LaBellas are nice (also stainless), but have higher tension... Plus there's a definite difference in tone from the Pyramids - mostly due to stainless vs nickel (respectively).

I found, especially for "The Beatle Bass" that the Hofner/Pyramid strings not only lasted longer, without tonal changes, they didn't stress the neck like LaBella flats did...

I find it odd that LaBella claims the James Jamerson connection... Jamerson supposedly bought a new Fender Precision bass, and never changed his strings... Did LaBella manufacture Fender's flat wound strings at that time??? If not, what's the connection???

Bottom line (pun considered) is, if you like TI flats, you will appreciate the Pyramids! Once you have a good set, they will also out-last the TI set (again, YMMV), making the seemingly exorbitant price worthy.

Happy hunting!
  11. ScottTunes

ScottTunes

By the way, Carol Kaye says TI flats are the bomb!
  12. atomicdog

atomicdog

Pyramid Golds. Higher tension than either the Chromes or TIs, IMO, and more pleasant to play.
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Jamerson immediately took the Fenders off any bass he bought and put LaBellas on them.
  14. Frenchy-Lefty

Frenchy-Lefty

Same here
  15. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Pyramids and TIs for me too! Although I have found that I once got a really dead sounding E on a set of Pyramids once but my supplier swapped me for a new set so no big deal!

I found Chromes too stiff and bright, lost patience trying to break them in. Chromes and LaBellas feel much stickier than the Pyramid Golds and TIs which both play like they've been dipped in oil in comparison!
  16. nukes_da_bass

I love Pyramid Golds too! Somewhere, in this House Where I Never Find Anything, I have a custom wound 5 string set I had made for my Certainbass 5. However, my life is run by 3 Filipino women who hide everything from me except basses, amps.
    Someday my band will get permanent practice space and I will keep EVERYTHING there (including clothes these women don't like lol!)
  17. gary m

gary m

Pyramids for my Hofner. Everything else gets GHS Precision Flats.
  18. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

No matter if you go TI or chromes you must let them break in and age to get the true tone out of them .With TI's it took 5 basses and about a year to get it right for me.
  19. ScottTunes

ScottTunes

Chromes = highest tension (of 3 mentioned)
    Pyramids = medium tension (and need no break-in period)
    TI Jazz flats = lowest tension

Last 2 are the only nickel flats I've used, and prefer over stainless.

The Pyramids DO feel like they were dipped in oil! Very smooth and silky (almost slippery)! IME/IMO/YMMV, of course.
  20. ScottTunes

ScottTunes

JimmyM, where did you "learn" of this?

Not that I'm any expert on Jamerson (I just love his playing an sound!), but I'd not heard this heretofore...