Chromes. Pressurewounds. Precision Flats. Comparisons?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mmbongo, Feb 19, 2013.

1. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

I love me some rounds!

But I've got an extra bass which turned into a labor of love doing modifications on, so I'd like to keep it around and have it do something totally different so I thought I'd put on some strings which I'd normally never use.

I want to set it up for a nice thumpy sound, as opposed to the aggressive nature of my other basses. I'm actually quite smitten with the bass sound on the newest CD from The Shins (listen to The Rifle's Spiral), which is the type of sound I don't normally appreciate. I have no idea what he uses, but it sounds like flats to me.

Anyway, onto the strings. I currently have Pressurewounds on it from when I decided to do this last year but chickened out when I went to order flats. On this bass, these strings still have a pretty good zing to them, and my main question for anyone who has compared two:

Are Pressurewounds brighter than Chromes? I assume both are way brighter than Precision flats, which is also an option.

One requirement is that at least the B string be able to be strung through body, because it will be large (.128 minimum) and the bridge on this bass does not work well with top loading the B string.

I want to stick with Chromes or GHS because Bass Strings Online has singles readily available and I can build a balanced tension set.

2. VeganThump

VeganThump

It's not recommended to string through the body with most flats. Though I do believe there are some manufacturers that say it is ok, I think the general consensus is that it's a no no.

3. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

Could try top loading a tapered B.

4. Josh Pelican

Josh Pelican

I prefer Pressurewounds. One of my favorite strings, at least for my P-bass. You can get a nice, thumpy tone out of them, but are definitely brighter. They are extremely versatile and would probably be better for a string-through body.

On the other hand, the Chromes would have more thump to 'em.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    The string length may answer your question...

GHS Pressurewounds 36.5" Ball to Silk
    Chromes available in 38" Ball to Silk

Thru-body only the Chromes Length will work depending on the instrument...

GHS's website states that Pressurewounds are Long+ but that information is not accurate, they are just standard Long Scale.

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Yeah I know we've been through the 'GHS fantasy land' of how they measure string length before :)

If Chromes work fine through body, I'll be going that route next!