Chromes Q&A 2012 Am Std P

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dasbusking, Jan 6, 2013.

1. dasbusking

dasbusking

First off I am a Noob and have only been playing Bass since March. For Christmas this year my super duper wife surprised me with an american standard P bass. I love the thing but I really want to try flats to get "the" sound. I have read a ton of this section and listened to all the sound clips I can find and decided that Chromes seem like they will unlock the magic of my P bass. I have a few questions though:
    #1 Do I need an extra long set for through body stringing?
    #2 Should I even be stringing flats through the body or is that a flat wound foul?
    #3 What string gauge should I get to avoid having to mess with the nut? I am not really comfortable filing the nut and I can't afford to take it to a luthier. (until I pay it off...lol):help:

Thanks,
    JW Morris

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    1. I would. D'addario makes the speaking length on Chromes just barely clear the nut with a top-strung bridge.

2. Good question. I never tried it, but I know others who have and it seems to work OK. The angles the bridge puts on it thru-body aren't all that severe IMHO.

3. You should be OK with any set up to a .050 G. I'd do whatever gauge I'm using currently in rounds...that's what I do.

3. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

I think you can go just through the bridge on those newer Fender bridges. Regular Chromes would work that way without going extra long.

I also suggest the Fender 9050CL set. 45-105, balanced tension, long enough for through body. Great strings.

4. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    I have Chromes on a P bass and I don't string through the body because flats tend to be less flexible and I'd rather keep the string angle minimized at the bridge. I tried 105's but thought there was too much tension, switched to the 100's and couldn't be happier. YMMV.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I use the super long set and go through body, no problems. If its your first time with flats, I'd go with the light gauge set.

7. dasbusking

dasbusking

Thanks guys for all the input. I think I have most of this squared away now. I will go light gauge. I still don't know if I will go through the body or string it traditionally but now I know if I use chromes i need to go extra long if I decide to string through the body. I will keep the fender strings in mind too I really didn't see much about them while I was researching and listening to all the sound clips. I guess the next step is to research the pros and cons of through body vs traditional through bridge. I am sure I can dig that up somewhere here on TB... You folks are great, thank you.

8. OzzyGreg

OzzyGreg Supporting Member

Hey, has she got any single sisters who are that generous? LOL!

9. meatwad

meatwad

I just switched from using the ECB80 set (long scale .040-.095) strung thru-body (yes, long scale Chromes will string thru-body, but cuts it very, very close), to the ECB81 set (long scale .045-.100) top-loaded on my 2011 AmStd Precision. I much prefer the top-load method over thru-body now, due to less string angle. I can't help but feel the excessive bend over the saddle played a major part in a recent broken G-string..

The extra light gauge is great on the fingers, very low tension, ect.. But, IMO they felt too slinky, and didn't fit the nut very well. Lots of 1st fret rattle. While the 81s definitely feel more stiff, the benefit is achieving the same low action as before, but the tone is much more clear. As in, virtually zero fret buzz.

Overall, I'm already happy with the switch, but the heavier strings will take some getting used to. Even their .045-.100 roundwound counterparts are quite noticeably softer in comparison, IME.