1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Chromes tension question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassdog, Feb 10, 2013.

1. bassdog

bassdog

About a year ago I purchased a set of Chromes 50-105 set. I usually play lower tession strings like TIs, Sunbeams, XL Nickels, HI-Beams. I love the sound of the Chromes but am wondering if the tension is too much for my fretting hand. After playing these a while, I notice that my knuckles seem to be a little sore. I don't think I have noticed this before with other strings. I play alot btw. The action is low and the bass seems to play nicely. Could it be my imagination? Has anyone else noticed that the high tension is a little hard on the hand? Thanks folks. Bob

I do see that there are a few related threads already. But I think it is safe to say that my fretting hand "feels" the tension after a short time playing. It's probably not best for my 58 yr hand. Thanks anyway. Bob
  2. groovenut57

groovenut57

Here's my perspective on the Chromes as a 55-yr-old... (actually almost 56)

I used to use D'Addario XL Nickles 45-105 before I discovered the joy of flats. Due to the slightly stiffer nature of flats in general, I decided to go a little lighter with the Chromes (40-100), which has worked out fine for me for the last three and a half years as they're comparable to the XL's in terms of stiffness.

You mentioned TI, Sunbeams and Hi Beams, which all have round core, making them a lot more flexible. So, I can see why you're finding the Chromes 50-105 harder on your 58-yr-old hand.
  3. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

I typically do not like flats...however loved the sound of chromes on my kelly acoustic....as for tension?

Yup....alot of it! So much so that the B was not even useful on the acoustic.

I may try them on an electric sometime.

Just (yesterday) put a set of sadowsky black labels on the kelly....seems like less twnsion and very darn near the chrome sound
  4. rockamimjazz

rockamimjazz

When I made the switch to Chromes, I originally went with medium gauge (.50 - .105), not realizing that flats have more tension. I found them too tough to fret, so I switched to light gauge Chromes (.045 - .100) and things have been great ever since.
  5. bassdog

bassdog

Thanks for the replies. It is interesting that a tad more tension can really be felt with the fretting hand. I have removed the Chromes and don't think I'll use that gauge again. I had been trying to use these strings on and off for a while now. Decided to put a set of the XL Nickels on the PJ. Now both basses have the same strings. Seems good for me as I like to use them interchangably. Played a long gig last night and my hand isn't really feeling it today. I'd probably be hurting a little if I had done the gig on the Chromes. Thanks again,

Bob
  6. BobaFret

BobaFret Supporting Member

Even with the 100-45 set it was a little too much tension for my taste. My solution was to tune this bass DGCF and it's all fine now. Probably not for everyone, but it works for me.
  7. Lo-E

Lo-E

This was the route I chose as well. I go one or more steps down from the guage I use for rounds when I buy flats (except for TIs) and find the tension to be comparable.

Flats definitely have higher tension - especially Chromes - and I too felt it in my hand after longs sets, which is why I made the above adjustment.
  8. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Tried chromes a few years ago and couldn't play them. Too much tension and I like low tension. (Love TI's)

Just bought the light gauge Chromes and the tension and feel are great. Sound good too.
  9. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

I'm used to round core DR strings too. The 45-100 ECB81 set was too stiff for me. I switched to some D'addario tapes, but if I switch back to chromes, I'll use the 40-95 ECB80 next time - those are the true light gauge chromes. Call me a wimp, I'm too old to care about such things.