1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Church/Bar Band....Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by HeadyVan Halen, Jun 6, 2011.

1. HeadyVan Halen

HeadyVan Halen

We (me, guitarist) have been in our church band for 6 years. We also have our own band in which we play out in bars and clubs alot.
    We get some looks like this :scowl: from some people at church, but wait, get this, they see us out beacuse they're in THE SAME BAR!!

Just feeling out if they're are any more bands that do this.

P.S. my soul is fine and I'm not looking for you to 'get me right', I was just wondering if we were alone.

Place thoughts below
  2. jaywa

jaywa

I've balanced "both worlds" for the better part of 11 years now. In fact, the original drummer and lead guitarist of the bar band I just left (which had a very successful 5-year run), were both guys I first met on my church's worship team.

Seriously, the folks from your church who come to bars to check your band out have no call to stand in judgment of you. Nor do you have the place to judge them. By the same token, there are Christian musicians out there who believe their talents are only to be utilized in the church and refuse to play other venues (and I have friends who take this view as well), and I totally respect that as well.
  3. bassteban

bassteban

I go both ways- after all, Jesus didn't turn water into Kool-aid...
  4. powderfinger

powderfinger

Hmmmm, sounds like the time my old Pastor saw me at the liquor store, buying a pint of Vodka. He asked me, "what are you doing here". I looked at him, and said, "same thing you are". He looked apalled. He was a nice guy though. Definitely from the school of thought that says, "do as I say, not as I do".
  5. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

I swing both ways. It's all good. My old pastor and his wife have seen my bar band play on several occasions. They aren't real big drinkers, but they seem to enjoy themselves just fine.

Getting home from a bar gig at 3:30 Sunday morning and having to be at church by 7:00, I'm sure I've not looked or smelled my best. No one at church has ever said anything negative about it.
  6. powderfinger

powderfinger

There is nothing wrong with going to a bar to check out a band, or playing at a bar to make some extra money and have some fun.
  7. Russell L

Russell L

I just don't play church gigs anymore. Got tired of the downlookers:scowl: and feeling like I was going to hell for playing elsewhere and having a good time.
  8. Tampabass

Tampabass Supporting Member

sure glad that Jesus didn't refuse to play (preach to) other venues
  9. dbhokie

dbhokie

I don't play at churches anymore. In fact playing in church in the past is a big part of the reason I don't go to church anymore. At least if my "bar friends" see me there they are happy.
  10. Foamy

Foamy

The two are not mutually exclusive. Your behavior is the determining factor.
  11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I don't go to church and I don't go to bars. No problem.
  12. HeadyVan Halen

HeadyVan Halen

The crazy thing is the response we get when we play 'shout music' at a bar is the same like when we 'slip in' some straight blues on Sunday Morning...

Both LOVE IT!
  13. AwkwardLoudness

AwkwardLoudness

I don't get it. Do churches discourage drinking or going to bars? Other than weddings, I haven't been to a church service, so I just just don't know the connection. And, after those weddings, I've seen lots of the 'religious' people get seriously sloshed at the reception. Heck, I've seen people drink in church.
  14. LilRay

LilRay

Disclosures:
    Owner: Cockeyed Cow Custom Leathercraft
    I see no reason why not do both. I'm a Christian, but try my best not to be hypocrytical.

I'm not saying go to clubs and be a jacka$$, then play in church so everything is okay.
    Nor am I saying bring fire & brimstone into a nightclub.

I won't "force" my faith on you, but I won't deny it to be hip either. I don't drink, I don't chase skirts, but I do love entertaining.

Keep it positive, and don't do anything you'd be embarrassed to have the person you most admire know about, and you're golden;).

If you're a guy, help the guy who had too many home, etc.

It's all about what you believe you're in either place for. Terrible people go to church, and wonderful people go to clubs and vice-versa. What are YOU after, in either place?

;)

God Bless, Ray
  15. jaywa

jaywa

This reminds me of a story my wife tells. Her dad grew up in Alabama and at the little country church he grew up in there was this one tree stump outside the door that was well known as the spot where his aunts stashed their homemade hooch.
  16. HeadyVan Halen

HeadyVan Halen

Drinking (as in any other drug) if used by those that can't control it, is dangerous.
    I drink.
    I look at women at the club.
    I look at women at church.
    Many times, they are the same woman.

And that sterotype about church women being crazier............true.

Ha, ha. Everything in moderation.
  17. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

I'm always VERY straight forward with clergy and elder committes.

"I won't lie... I won't be inauthentic... you are well aware that if Jesus were walking the streets today, he'd be talking to hookers, homeless, junkies, downtrodden and drunks -- this is what I do with my spare time"

I've single handledly brought in more people to the church than ANYONE in the congregation I work for.

Heck... after my daugther's baptism (I worked it), the enitre church was invited to the local tavern for lunch....

There were some that questioned my sensibilities -- I then pointed toward the 200 additional people that were there for the festivities... then asked them to not go to the bar if it wasn't their thing.

Authenticity sells more than hypocracy.

Tim
  18. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Hmm.....can't seem to find anyplace in the Bilble where it says "Thou shalt not play a bar gig....".

I'm sure there are PLENTY of Christian brick layers, painters carpenters etc..who built plenty of bars.

Since when is going to/playing in a bar and being a Christian musician a bad thing?
    Honestly.
    If you hold true to who you are and your belief system, then what's the problem?
    You can chase all the skirts you want as well. Nothing wrong with chatting up a woman you meet in a club. No one says you have to make it a hump & dump.

Now, if your bar gig is in a strip club.....well.....that might be a bit different IMO.

And you never know, you could walk off stage and start talking to a guy at the bar who just lost everything he held close in his life and he's about to have a few more shots and go for a drive. You could be that little difference just by being a nice guy.
    It could happen.

Heck, Jesus turned water into wine- I think He and I will get along quite well! ;)
  19. relwof

relwof

Yeah, and many "church" people would have looked down on where and with whom Jesus chose to hang out. Those in His day did. Hell, even atheists might question befriending tax collectors...
  20. MyMusic

MyMusic

As long as the relationship that you have with God is good, don't worry about what these people think or how they feel. Thank God for the gift that He gave you to make an honest living.