Church bass, sound clip, what frequs. do I need to add/cut to make it sound better?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by grouse789, Jan 22, 2013.

1. grouse789

grouse789

Hey gang, Can you check this soundclip out?
    I run my G&L L2000 thru the tech21 VT pedal. Bass at 1:00 High at 11:00, Mids at 2:00 , Character knob at 11:00, and Drive at 11:00
    I feel as if my bass is a bit loud in the mix, but when I lower the recording input for my channel a little bit, my bass doesnt seem to cut thru. I was thinking of adding a parametric EQ to my signal chain? I just want my notes more accentuated than they currently are. Thank you for any help, flames or otherwise!
    BTW during this service,I usually run with both pickups on, not in series?(the quieter of the two) and passive, although as mentioned I ran it with the treb boost(active) switch on.
    I also run both the treble and bass knob full up as they are "cut" knobs and not boosters.

I am really wondering if there are certain frequencies that I should avoid, and certain frequencies I should add to sit better. This is why I am considering an EQ to go in my chain. Thank you in advance!
    :bassist:
    http://soundcloud.com/teepeerock/08-your-love-is-everything

2. grouse789

grouse789

sorry here it is i think

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  3. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

I can't play the link for some reason.

But I use a VT bass (treble at 10 o'clock, mids and treble at 2 o'clock) with a Zoom B2 as the eq. What eq are you getting?

What works for most of the churches that I play at: is a slioght boost in the low mids 150 to 350 hz, and a slight boost in the 1kz to 2khz range (depending on the pedal). I also cut the frequencies below 80hz a little and the "guitar range" of 450 to 800hz a little. This creates a tight, punchy tone. If I have any trouble hearing myself in a mix with those settings...it's almost always an issue of the keyboard's left hand.

I use those basic settings with all of my basses--passive p basses, passive j bass, or active stingray. They all sound different, yet can be heard clearly.

4. grouse789

grouse789

I was thinking of an Empress parametric EQ, or an older TC electronic parametric EQ the 1144 or something like that.
    Sounds like some good settings to try though, thanks for the advice.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. WayneP

WayneP

Hey Grouse,

Frankly I think it sounds fine. Usually when I see one of our members saying they’re not cutting through the mix, the problem usually is not them, but that there’s too much low end in all the other instruments and male vocals. I don’t see that here, the mix is EQ’d well. I’d agree that perhaps you are a tad hot in the mix, but not much.

Something I listen for is that all the bass notes from the highest to the lowest are coming through clearly. Often you see (for example), the highest notes getting “lost,” etc. That’s not happening here; there is a good balance between your low and high notes – IOW, they’re all at the same volume level. So I’m not sure where a parametric EQ would help you.

If anything I’d add a bit of low end to your sound. I have a good-quality Velodyne sub in my computer audio system, and what was missing was the “feel” of a bass. Switching the sub in and out I could barely tell a difference, even at 2:40 when you hit that low note. This might be the ticket to being able to lower your volume a bit. But then again, what works for a recording might not “play well” live, in the room you’re playing in...

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Administrator, Pedulla Club #45
    Administrator, Tobias Club
    Big Cabs Club #23
    My Rig: Stage and FOH Friendly

7. craig.p

craig.p Supporting Member

That bass channel sounds like a board feed or a direct feed or a close mic.

If so, how 'bout a sample from where the congregation sits? That would be a more valid test.

8. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard

Actually, your bass sounds fine. Both guitars sound like crap though. Drums seem to be nonexistent in the mix. I'm assuming this is a board mix and not a mic out front. Probably the drums are turned way down because they are pretty loud in the room.

Short version: Bass sound fine. (I probably wouldn't have done that little "pop" towards the beginning because it's a little bit tasteless in this song, but that's just me.) :smug:

9. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

The Empress is among the best eq on the market....if you can afford it, get it.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I agree. It's not a bad sound, and it's audible throughout the track. There's really not anyone else occupying your sonic space, so you've got that working for you. As Wayne said, I'd fatten up the bottom a little, not much. Maybe a little boost in the low mids at 200 - 250hz, and a touch at 60hz or so. Not much at either frequency, though.

11. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

This is the true answer...

12. grouse789

grouse789

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes that "pop" in the begining was an overindulgant piece of trash.
    I am not worried so much about the "live" sound that the congregants hear. We run two subs on either end, and I am clearly coming out of the regular mains. ( I am usually in charge of the recordings though, sooo in that aspect I have control over my bass tone).
    What you hear on the recording is what the ppl get out in the pews. Just with added boom from the subs.
    The way I do the recordings is that all channels go to the recorder pre fader. or in other words the faders have no control over the recorded mix. The mix is done thru sub channels. Easy enough.
    The guitars: I trim back their bass frequencies a bit to about 11:00
    My bass I leave my channel flat except for bass frequ. which I have just a hair past 12:00, and let the VT pedal do the work of boosting lowering.
    Same with vocals. trimming those bassy voices from overstepping the bass itself.
    The drums werent really in the mix this week, as someone messed with that knob I guess.
    The guitars I usually cut their mids a little bit, just enough to make them cleaner, or more clear. On guy on a PRS thru a line 6 HD500 direct to house, Other guy on an acoustic guitar, direct to house.
    I double on keys, and will play backing notes with a roland PK-5 pedalboard linked to a korg triton.

Any advice on getting the guitars sounding better?
    Thanks again for the replies, I really appreciate it.

13. TimmyP

TimmyP

I like it. Needs a little low bottom. A multiband comp to tame the top when you snap would be nice.