1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Church Praise Band

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Llaslo, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Llaslo

Llaslo

Hello all,

I'm fairly new here. I've been playing on my bass for about 4 months but only recently started posting here. I've been going through various books and such, but really decided I want to take lessons to improve my skills. I played Viola in orchestra all throughout high school, but that was a loooooong time ago. At any rate. My church found out I've been learning bass, and they know that my wife is a drummer. They've asked us about starting a praise band to play during sunday morning worship services, and possibly at various events we have at the church. This prospect is very exciting to me, but I really am not sure skill-wise, that I'd be ready for that, and I certainly don't want to embarrass myself or the others. What are your thoughts on when someone is ready to start an endeavor like this?
  2. bassteban

bassteban

You are formally trained on viola- I'd be shocked if you couldn't handle bass. Focus on timing; w/ your experience Im guessing your theory & reading skills surpass the average bass player. I say give it a shot- if the environment you describe is not very encouraging, IMO they're * doing it wrong* :D
  3. cloverkeys

cloverkeys

been there about a year ago, I say do it for sure.

I suggest experimenting at practice and see what sounds good with the band, sometimes what sounds good solo doesn't go over very well with a full band.

Also, IMO, its better to have a very simple bassline that hits the roots but has a nice time-feel then a overly busy one flying all over the neck.

Most importantly, have fun and remember its not about you or the band, but about the worship service.
  4. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

5. Sethbass

Sethbass

Wait... Your wife is a drummer? Lol can't imagine the are any issues in that relationship! Hey man!!! Its a great and mighty calling! God bless...i am sure with your previous training you'll be great!!!
  6. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

At its best a church is a family if you are able to handle 1/8 note roots on a three chord song you are ready, step up my brother. Now you just have to find a piano and/or somebody to strum cowboy chords and your church is in business. For about a year we had a pianist who could do little more then pad a chord with a lead guitarist who did most everything, turn arounds, fills, etc. by himself

What genre is the core music of your congregation? The only objection I could see is if the church was using performance tracks of the most intricate gospel music on the market and the singers want more then you can handle. But even then most will rather have live musicians even if it means they are not singing to the latest Hezekiah Walker track as he recorded it.
  7. Llaslo

Llaslo

Our Pianist is very good. The guitarist might be the weakest link, but he can strum chords okay. As for our music genre, it would mostly be stuff like this:

• Happy Day
    • Amazing Grace (My Chains Are Gone)
    • How Great Is Our God
    • White As Snow
    • Here I am To Worship

Those are few examples of typical music they play. As for me, I should have no problems with 1/8th note Roots & 5ths for all of our chords.

Now, as for my true passion, that'd be heavier music (Metallica is my all time favorite band, but "Creeping Death" is obviously inappropriate for a worship setting :D), but I figure playing with other musicians can only help improve my skills. I just have to get over my intitial trepidation of playing with others.
  8. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

I say you are ready, music wise. Paul Baloche has a "what I want from a new bassist lesson on his Youtube channel and your skill level is all he ask for from a new bassist and he has pro level players with his ministry. Now it is a leadership role, not a skills question that I would worry about. Would the pianist accept you as a church elder in authority when he has been handling the musical load like the guitarist did at my church. Or are you being asked to join the pianist and your church will be adding a set of traps and a drummer for the first time?

With song list I will assume you are talking about the iconic, first hit of the songs. Basically a pop CCM genre They have all been recorded from bluegrass to neo-soul by different ministries.
  9. Llaslo

Llaslo

Yes, definitely performed from a pop, first-hit version of those. As for the music director (our pianist), is trying to form a praise band. We've never had that before, and I would definitely be considered a church leader because I serve as Chairman of the board of directors, but I certainly wouldn't want that to be considered as a reason to include me.
  10. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

So I would allow the MD director to run with it, your role besides the low end would be as the voice on the council. At rehearsal and during service submit yourself under him. As a council member however you may have frontman duties that are often handled by the lead singer at other churches.