1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Cigarette Smell on Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Matthew_84, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

I like keeping my basses immaculate, and free of any marks or odours. Last night I jammed in a rehearsal spot with a new group I may be working with, and some of the people were smoking in the rehearsal room - myself included.

I just took my bass out of its gig bag and it stinks of cigarette smoke. Is there anything I can do to bring it back to normal?

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Yup....3 steps:

1) Air the bass out, wipe it off with good musical instrument cleaner and polish (Virtuoso is my pick, NOTHING made to use on furniture).
    2) Air out your bass case and spray it with Febreze.
    3) Tell the band no smoking in the room or you're out.

Period.

End of problem.

3. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

Thanks Pilgrim

1) Is this something to put on the body, back on neck, etc? I have dunlop's fretboard cleaner, but I only apply that when I change strings.

2) Good idea.

3) The stupid thing is that there was a smaller side room with seating, but not all of the smoking was done in there. I unfortunately left my gig bag in that room, which is surely aiding to the odour. I'll do number 1 and 2 for sure, and next time keep my bag out of that room and tell people to keep the cigarettes in there.