1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Circle K E string: recommended gauge? (standard tuning)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by nick0, Dec 9, 2013.

Which gauge for the E-string?

1. .098

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. .102

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. .106

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. nick0

nick0

I'm trying to figure out what gauge of an E string I should use with Circle K, with standard tuning, on a pbass. You know that set that Fender ships their basses with? The 100-to-45 one? I really like the feel of that 100. The 105 E in a DR Sunbeam set is too floppy for me, but I love the feel of a TI Jazzflat E. The Fender 100 E feels slightly tighter & stiffer than the TI Jazzflat. [edit: Oops, I meant jazzflat, not jazzround! The jazzround, from what I've read, is definitely too "noodly" for me)

It's been so long since I've played anything else that I don't remember what a D'Addario or Ernie Ball feels like, but I seem to remember that a DR Black Beauties 105 felt good. The nut of the bass I'm throwing the Circle Ks on looks like it's perfectly cut for a 100 E.

2. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I stuck a bass in my
    I got the .106 last time and it was a bit thick but still felt fine...next time I am getting the .102...I am affraid to get the .98...might lose some boom....If you like the .100 fender gauge then you should definitely get the .098...always go a little under what you normally like with circleK.

3. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

I voted .102 but that's the only one of the three I have experience with. If I had to choose two out of the three I'd say the heavier two, based on what you've said. I find the Circle Ks, while hex core, to be more flexible than (for example) D'Addario ProSteels. Not floppy, but not rigid either. I'd actually say the opposite to Dredmahawkus^ - because they're quite flexible for the thickness, you can actually afford to go slightly up in guage and I wouldn't suggest going down a size.

On my 5-string I'm very happy withe the .102 as I'm also a fan of the .136 B it's [aired with and don't fancy going heavier. On a 4-string? I think I'd be happy with either .102 or .106 as part of a balanced tension set and would possibly try both in turn. Mind you, it could be a long time between purchases - I put my current set on in January!

4. Dredmahawkus

Disclosures:
    I stuck a bass in my
    circle K is hex core? I swore they were round core! quite low tension for hex!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. nick0

nick0

Oh no! I mean TI Jazzflat, not Jazzround! The Jazzround is too floppy for me! ;-)

7. Dredmahawkus

Disclosures:
    I stuck a bass in my
    Have you tried circle K yet? they are a bit floppy and low tension. I like em but if you dont like TI flats floppyness you might not like circleK.
    I prefer Fodera nickels. they are just a bit less floppy then circle K and sound great...they still have pretty low tension and sound really good...warm but still bite when you want to slap....circle K is still a great string though! Those 2 are probably my favorite 2 rounds.

8. nick0

nick0

Dredmahawkus, no, I haven't tried Circle K yet. Do you find them more or less floppy than DR Sunbeams? Another point of comparison: DR Black Beauties. 'any idea how Circle K feels compared to these?

Argh, curse my panic at the confusion of a typo! TI flats are just about perfect feel for me, though a bit floppy for more aggressive live gigs. It's the TI jazzrounds that I'm convinced won't work, since they're said to be floppier than the flats.

9. KingRazor

KingRazor

I would recommend the .102 for most people, .106 if you want it tighter, .098 if you want lighter, and .112 if you want it really, really tight.

I have a .106 right now but I'm tuned down to D-standard. I like between 34 and 38 pounds of tension, generally, although I can go up to 42 pounds and still be comfortable if the strings are flexible like circle ks.

10. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

I know! I went on the website to confirm just as I was about to say they're round and fond out I would've been wrong.

11. Dredmahawkus

Disclosures:
    I stuck a bass in my
    They are a bit more floppy then sunbeams...although some of that could depend on the bass too...I had circlek on my thumb. If you like the floppyness of TI flats then you should like circle K. they have a great sound too....someone pointed out the .102 set is less floppy then the .106....I had the .106 and they were pretty floppy....I liked it though they had a great feel....they were still pretty tight where you pluck.
    I am used to regular .105 and found the .106 felt a bit thick to me....but like everything you get used to it. I prefer lighter gauge strings now...I just have more control with them and can play faster without messing up!
    I just ordered a new bass and been thinking about getting a couple sets of circlek...I was going to get .098. I have a couple sets of thomastik infeld superalloys in my drawer....they sound really great...better then anything I have heard...but are high tension and .105 thick. so I think I have to use those first...those superalloy I dont think ever go dead I had a set on a bass for almost a year then sold the bass before they went dead....thats the good thing about circlek and Fodera you get the great feel and a great sound.
    I am still amazed circlek is hex core....they totally feel like a round core string. probably why they sound so good as well as feel good.

12. nick0

nick0

Thank you so much for sharing! I've ordered a .102 set, and will post and update once it arrives. Also picked up some guitar strings for friends who like to try out new things. 'probably won't get here before Christmas, but hey, boxing week isn't too late! ;-)

13. InsaneBassninja

InsaneBassninja

I like 105 and 107 for E strings

14. chucko58

chucko58

Disclosures:
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Before Circle K, I always preferred the more authoritative sound of a .105" low E. So for a 34" scale bass, I prefer the Circle K .106" sets. I've found .102" works great on 35" scales.