Circle K strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Sundogue, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Sundogue

Sundogue

Holy Crap...what delivery service!

I ordered a balanced set of strings for my 6 string bass on Saturday and the post office was closed Sunday and Monday and I just got them today! That is like ordering them via overnight mail, but I only paid for standard shipping.

That's from Washington state to Wisconsin on only two delivery days! Kudos to them. Man, that is really prompt!

Can't wait to try them out. But they were sitting in my mailbox all morning and it's -15 degrees outside so I'm gonna let them sit for a while and warm up.

Cool that they leave the strings in a flat (straight) package and only loosely coil them in a large mailer for shipping. Haven't even tried them yet and I'm already impressed.
  2. chucko58

chucko58 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    FYI, the Circle K folks are at NAMM this week and not processing orders while they're there.
  3. Sundogue

Sundogue

Well, they must have shipped them out Saturday before they left then. But a good heads up for anyone ordering this week.

I'm itching to string up my bass and try them out!
  4. zachoff

zachoff

Dig my Circle K strings for sure. Balanced tension is the new 30.
  5. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

I get the same type of service to Florida - same thing, ordered late in the day on a Saturday, got here either Tuesday or Wednesday. That's fast in my book. I wonder if they are bribing the government??

Anyway, enjoy the strings!
  6. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Playing Circle K strings got me hooked on balanced tension, and they make a great sounding nickel-plated string. My tastes are more into stainless steel however, so I've been putting together balanced tension versions of strings like DR Hi-Beams, etc.
  7. bunkaroo

bunkaroo Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    They say the CK's are nickel-steel "hybrids", but you're right it's not the same as all steel. Still they are great.

I went back to a set of Fat Beams on my 6-string and they already feel wrong.
  8. Sundogue

Sundogue

Still haven't put mine on...maybe tonight yet.

I've been using nickels for a very long time. I like the sound of stainless steel strings, but I'm used to nickels for a bit more subdued sound and better feel.

A lot of guys have said the Circle K's start out very bright but they mellow a bit after the initial playing, and hold that tone for quite a long time.

I bought them more for the balanced tension more than any other reason so I'll just have to see. Tone-wise I can make just about any string work for me. Lots of tonal options with my bass, technique and amp/cab and effects/modeler so tone from the strings themselves are my least concern.
  9. Sundogue

Sundogue

I got the balanced set on my 6 string (pic below).

For starters...Wow, these ARE incredibly balanced. Not only does each and every string feel the same regarding tension, feel and playability, they all sound very even all across and up and down the range.

I got the 135-low B, 102-E, 76-A, 57-D, 41-G and 29-C set. My God, the low B is the absolute best B string I've ever played or heard. Deep, full, resonating and best of all is not floppy in the least. I can play it with the exact same touch as all my other strings. These babies are the very definition of balanced!

The tone is killer. Bright right now, but I expect them to settle in a bit yet still retain their clarity. I really love the tapered low B and E strings. I have incredibly low action and am having no issues with fret buzz (at least the kind that is annoying as I like to get a little Entwistle like clank at times).

So far...I consider these to be a huge score. 6 string set, shipped (practically overnight without overnight charges) for $45. Killer strings.

I'll post more on them later. Here's a pic of the bass they are on (not strung on the bass in this pic though)...

[​IMG]
  10. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Agreed. I ordered some strings last Friday and got them on Tuesday! Washington to Chicago!
  11. cableguy

cableguy

Skip is a great guy. Being local I have picked them up at his shop in the U-district. Some of the strings he has there look more like cables though. The strings run absolutely huge for his extended range basses. I think an octave below a standard E.
  12. Sundogue

Sundogue

I haven't seen them personally, but just browsing through the list of strings available I was shocked at the gauges, from the tiniest little threads up to cables that had to come from a suspension bridge!
  13. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

Stainless is my favorite too but Circle-K's sit between say, something like D'Addario XL's and DR's. I was using DDT's for a long time but DR's last no where near as long as Circle-K's.

They aren't quite as bright as Hi-Beams or DDT's but do last more than twice as long.

I would normally get about 3 months use out of a set of DR's (playing 6-9 hours a week) and when they would die I wasn't able to compensate by boosting my highs on the bass EQ. Circle K's are totally different story; the set I currently have are six months old, are still flexible, and can still cut like a hot knife.

Hope you enjoy them.
  14. Sundogue

Sundogue

So far I certainly am. I can usually get most any string to last a good while before EQing does nothing any longer or they just lose that mojo.

If I can get by with these and only have to replace them 3 or 4 times a year, at $45 a pop that would be tremendous!
  15. Sundogue

Sundogue

The more I play on these strings, the more appealing they are.

In a word...CLARITY. Not "new string brightness" clarity, but a richness that just sings. EVERY string sounds the same tonally all up and down the neck. Chords sound beautiful.

I think the fewer wraps allow the strings to vibrate more freely. I also think the taper on the Low B and E strings allows them to "sing" more fully, not having the entire fat string sitting "on" the saddle. They sit in the groove of the saddle like the rest of the strings do. The low B is astoundingly clear and articulate. And best of all the low B feels as tight as the rest of the strings. No more holding back and using a lighter touch on the low B to even it out. Just beautifully balanced.

Given my 6 string is converted over from a 5 string and the neck only has a single truss rod, I think the balanced tension will help keep the neck stable. With other strings I noticed just an ever so slight twist to the neck as if the high C string pulled it out just a tad. Nothing serious, just something I was aware of. It never got worse...just a little off that always had me worried (though nothing ever came of it beyond that).

Wonderful strings and at a great price with quick shipping. So far I'm hooked. Especially that low B. Never had a B string sound and play this good.
  16. socialleper

socialleper

Great service, great idea, but I dont care for how they handle their tapers. A tapered E is a little weird to me, and the taper is too short. String through bodies are not uncommon and they are too short to work properly with Warwick bridges. So that's two basses I can't use them on.
  17. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

Can't say I've noticed the taper on the E. But I hear you on string-through bridges. They work just fine on top-load bridges but there's definitely not enough taper for string-through. In fairness, they make that very clear, but miss out on some customers as a result.

Thinking about it, it's better to state it up front than just assume everyone will be okay. If they had a long taper it would be great for some but be too far into the playing zone for others.
  18. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Dingwall ABZ Player Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    There is absolutely no benefit to a string-through bridge, so why not swap it out for one that allows you to use strings that actually benefit your basses tone and playability?
  19. Sundogue

Sundogue

Even if one uses a string through body, some have found that they can still use the tapered B and E strings. They just don't have the tapered part on the saddle. The fatter part sits on the saddle.

Although IMO, that defeats the beauty of having the thicker strings sitting "in" the saddle like the other strings. I think THAT is part of what makes these strings (the low B and E) sound even better and more "musical".

I've never owned a string through body bass. I've played a few, but never really knew what the big deal was. I mean if it's for added sustain, and a non string through body sustains forever, how much longer than that does it need to sustain? ;)
  20. ixlramp

ixlramp

The short taper is for very good reason. Most brands make a commercial decision to have a long taper to fit all basses, on top load basses this results in a long length of taper in the vibrating length which causes a strange unclear inharmonic tone .. harmonics out of tune with fundamental. This leads some people to think they don't like tapered strings. The less a string is full gauge from nut to saddle the less it vibrates like normal string, the full gauge should be as close to the saddle as possible, certainly less than an inch.

Also, these were designed as ERB and subcontrabass strings, the F# and C# strings are too fat to be used through body, and most ERBs have top load bridges.