Circuits to Cure Cancer: Maari's story.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by PWV, Apr 6, 2014.

1. PWV

PWV Gold Supporting Member

In July of 2012, my nine-year old daughter Maari was diagnosed with rhabdomyosarcoma. "Rhabdo" is an extremely aggressive children's cancer and started behind her eye wrapped around the optic nerve. Within 3 weeks, it had moved into her sinus cavity.

After 8 weeks of Proton radiation at Loma Linda Children's Hospital and heavy chemotherapy, the doctors believed the tumor was gone. For the next several months, Maari faithfully continued her chemotherapy until April of 2013. During this time, she worked daily at her violin and became very good at it.

Unfortunately, the tumor returned in May. Moving from the sinus cavity into the brain and spine the tumor was reclassified as a brain tumor.

On August 31st, 2013 my beautiful little girl lost her battle with cancer.

Today I have a renewed and vested interest in the battle against cancer. Blake Hickey will be running an auction May 8th-18th on Reverb that will donate all proceeds to cancer research. This auction will feature some of the finest hand-made and point-to-point wired pedals in the world. Pedal makers from around the globe are on board for the second year of this event.

I met Blake of Blakemore Effects last year during the first Circuits To Cure Cancer auction. At that time, I bid high and won his Deus Ex Machina Fuzz. Knowing that all proceeds would go to St Jude's Children's Hospital research I knew it was a great to pay it forward AND come away with a great fuzz pedal.

This year, Dave Boonshoft of Aguilar will be donating some cool bass effects as well. Pedals are still coming in now including: Mr. Black, Earthquaker, Fuzzrocious, Verellen and many others. (edit - My bad. It's Iron Horse by Walrus Audio. Not Iron Ether - don't think they're in this year).

Edited to add: Inventory updates can be found here - sorted by manufacturer:

Circuits to Cure Cancer Website

I hope that you will consider driving the bid up on all of these pedals for a good cause. Hopefully, they will go to homes where the bidders paid too much for them - way too much.

But right now, all I'm asking you to do:

Please "Like" or "Follow" Circuits To Cure Cancer's Facebook and Twitter pages. Share, copy, post....spread the word. Blake is trying to boost the Twitter page visibility right now - not being much of a Twitter'er myself, I'm hoping others can pick up the slack.

Here the links - please broadcast this event to every cyber-corner of the internet.

Thank you,

Maari's Dad.

Circuits to Cure Cancer Facebook Page

Circuits To Cure Cancer Twitter Page

Below: Maari practicing violin during her chemotherapy stays in the hospital.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Denver Max

Denver Max

This broke my heart, sir. I have a 2 year old son, and I worry constantly about something like this happening to him. I already follow Circuits to Cure Cancer on Facebook and plan on spending way more money than my wife would be comfortable with on the auction this year. Or at least driving prices up so someone else will. This is a wonderful charity and I hope that I am severely outbid on everything.

I hope that you're keeping your head up. I'm sending good vibes your way.

3. zwkoch

zwkoch You can't do that on bass enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

I'm so sorry to learn that Maari has passed. My family spent many hours praying for her and your family. We will continue to pray for peace for all of you. I'm all in for this cause and have already pushed the link to Rebecca Dirks for her to cover in Tone Report once the auction goes live.

4. PWV

Thanks guys - our family is doing ok. We've had a great deal of support, and she touched a lot of people I'll never meet.

This auction gives me a sense of purpose right now. Hope everyone has a chance to check out these pedals...there's some really cool ones.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rratajski

rratajski

Disclosures:
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    We are humbled to be a part of the auction this year and to support the cause. Shannon and I (Ryan) are parents as well, so this hits home hard for us. Glad to be able to help. Spread the word, folks!

7. Denver Max

Denver Max

Any one-off pedals or just standards?

Also, if Iron Ether is still on hiatus when this thing opens, whatever they entered is probably gonna get bid up like crazy.

8. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

So sorry for your loss. I can only imagine how your feeling. Being a cancer survivor, I will check the site out when I get home.

9. PWV

Both I believe. Some are painted just for the auction, some are standard. There should be a catalog listing of all the auction pedals soon...

10. Jay Q

Jay Q Supporting Member

Done.

Your post moved me more than I can say. Much love to you, brother.

11. PWV

My Bad - Iron *Horse* is by Walrus Audio. Don't think Iron Ether is in there. Sorry for the confusion.

Thank you - and God Bless you.

12. DagoMaino

DagoMaino Supporting Member

Cheers to this! I support St. Jude's regardless, but this is always a great reason to throw even more toward the cause. I hope this becomes a successful mainstay for the builders and effects community!

13. marmadaddy

marmadaddy

Liked and Shared on Facebook.

14. Humbled

Humbled Supporting Member

Thanks for posting PWV.

I urge all to support St. Jude's. I've been sending them $35/mo without fail for over 16 years, beginning when my son was born needing the help of some miracle workers.

The folks who dedicate themselves to helping sick kids as a lifelong endeavor are the truest of heroes.

15. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS, D-TAR
    Truer words were never spoke.

PWV, I'm heartbroken for your loss. Not enough out of the woods yet to donate, but my thoughts are with you and we are thankful every day for Children's of Denver.

16. PWV

Looks like the inventory updates will happen at the website here:

Circuits to Cure Cancer Website

Aguilar is donating a Tonehammer pre-amp!

17. DagoMaino

DagoMaino Supporting Member

There a lot of great effects listed so far...I noticed at least 6 I am interested in bidding on... including the ToneHammer!

18. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Breaks my heart. So sorry for your loss. Your family is in my prayers.

19. PWV

3Leaf Audio is on-board! Spencer is donating an Envelope Filter I believe....not sure which one, but it will be epic!

20. zwkoch

zwkoch You can't do that on bass enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

Can I buy a brand new pedal and donate it to the auction?

21. PWV

That's a good question...Blake Hickey could answer that one. If you can e-mail him, try:

BlakemoreEffects@gmail.com

Thanks!