Clack without buzz?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Tupac, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Tupac

Tupac

Just got some new 106 gauge Dean Markley SR2000s, after being a light gauger wanting to try something new. it feels like a chore to play, my hands ache after playing because of all the extra effort. When I lower the action to get some clack to soften it up, it starts to buzz and be weird. Help?

Also, the tension on the tuners seems way higher than with my light gauges, is that normal?
  2. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

i cant comment on the tuner issue. but the clack without buzz issue, for me it's kind of trial and error adjusting both the string height and relief of the neck. i'm sorry i cant be more specific, it's just something you kind of have to experiment with.
  3. Lownote38

Lownote38

If you switched to a heavier set of strings, you might need a truss rod adjustment in order to get the action as low as you want it.
  4. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

+1 you need a setup because heavier strings have more tension and neck relief will be higher and your action will also be a little higher as a result. They also might not be seated in the nut properly.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Tupac

Tupac

I've always had a lot of relief, barely curved from flat. What things do I need to adjust to fit the bass to the heavier gauge strings? That would have made a better thread title.