Clacking Through PA Not Amp

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bachlover, Jan 26, 2014.

1. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

I have a fretless that I recently have put tapewounds on. Sat. night I finished a jam where I used a fretted with rounds and the fretless (Godin) playing through the PA. The fretless made a distinct clacking sound when I played, but when I switched back to fretted, no problem. Also, there was no problem playing the fretless through my practice amp at home and my SVT w/4x10 cab at church this a.m. Any ideas as to what might be causing the Godin clacking through the PA? The only other difference between the 2 guitars is the Godin has piezo pups and the fretted humbuckers.
  2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Were you going direct to the PA from the basses? Piezo pups don't care for low impedance loads (like a 10K line or 600 ohm balanced).
  3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Piezos can have a huge subsonic signature below the audible threshold. You need to filter this out. If the Godin has a built in preamp the output will be at a much lower impedance than the pickups alone (sorry Mr B). You should look at getting a High Pass Filter such as the one TB's Fdeck puts out.

With my fretless using piezo bridge saddles, I could watch my speaker cones move in and out by gently pushing down on the strings. A HPF cured the problem.
  4. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Appreciate the clarification Paul :)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tbirdsp

tbirdsp Supporting Member

Is it possible the PA speakers are just amplifying this noise more than your bass rig because of their horns (and mid drivers?) ?