Clank on higher frets

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Clark Westfield, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Clark Westfield

Clark Westfield Floyd Pepper is my mentor! Supporting Member

Hey there all, I just had a local guy set up my Squier Jazz bass and I keep getting a clank on the upper frets.

The strings are hitting when I play around fret 19 and 20.

I will not go back to this guy as he is not super detail oriented when it comes to repairs. ( not a happy camper right now)

The clank sounds like a thumb slap at the edge of the neck.

Do I raise the strings or is the truss rod not set right?

My other Jazz basses do not do this when I play, so you can rule out player errors.
  2. Precision101

Precision101

Don't mess with the truss. The clank is from the saddles that maybe too low raise them until your satisfied
    Truss rod is 12th fret to nut and the saddles is 12 fret to bridge. You may have to make a slight adjustment in the truss rod but in my experiences and nightmares of fret buzz and clanking it's usually the saddles if it's that high up the board.
  3. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Fret issues, probably ski jump, which cannot be fixed with either trussrod or bridge adjustments, though you *can* raise the action so high that it will stop rattling on the high frets, at the expense of playability everywhere else.
  4. wmheilma

wmheilma

Hard to say without looking at it up close. Perhaps you take it back to the guy who did the set up and get him to adjust it more. A small amount of fret filing might help. If the neck is warped, then it can be fixed by pulling out all the frets, leveling the fingerboard, and refretting. Or you replace the neck...
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. kurosawa

kurosawa Supporting Member

Someone told me that Fender-style necks have a set fall-off put into fret height on the higher frets because you can't use the truss rod to adjust the section of neck that's bolted on. Maybe this step got skipped at the factory?
  7. Clark Westfield

Clark Westfield Floyd Pepper is my mentor! Supporting Member

Raised the string height 1/2 a turn for all strings.

Clank gone!

Thanks guys