Clarity in a low G (5 string Dingwall)

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Katobaron, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Katobaron

Katobaron

Hi everyone! The band I'm currently with plays with a low G tuning (GDGCF). The Dingwall was purchased with the low string in mind and set up properly it absolutely sings. The problem I've run into is finding a rig that can reproduce the clean clarity that I recieve from the bass unplugged. I've tried combos as well as head/cabs but the low end is never quite as crisp as what I'm looking for. Does anyone have any suggestions for heads/cabs that could do the trick? Any help is appreciated!
  2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Clarity is going to pretty subjective hear. (;)) What are you using now? Strings and rig. I personally do not find there to be too much clarity when going that low as it is. The time I went that low I tried a Mesa head/cab, Ampeg SVT-6 on an Epifani 3x10, and a Traynor Dynabass into a 4x10 (maybe 12) and it sounded like un-defined mud through every single rig. The bass was a Dingwall Combustion, do not know the gauge of the string but it was thick enough I probably could have hung myself with it.
  3. ahc

ahc

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Clarity that low down will require some serious power first off, and enough spkr cab to handle that power. Expecting the fundamental to be crisp and clean may be asking too much of ANY bass rig, but the harmonics are where it's at anyway. Just get something with 1000 watts or more, and as always, but especially in this case- don't skimp on spkr cabs.
  5. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

F-deck HPF. Even fearful users tidy up regular 5 string sound with them.
  6. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune Only immortal for a limited time Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    Thanks for the mention! Of the two, I'd lean towards the Hathor 1855 for this application. The woofer in that cab has a very powerful motor and digs deeper with better clarity.

That being said, Mike Arnopol's Big E cabs have truly outstanding clarity and impact in the low end. His 210 Flex comes to mind, but I don't know for sure that that would be the one he'd recommend here. This is an area where Mike's cabs outperform mine. I would say that his cabs give you low-end articulation that is at least as good as a really nice sealed cab along with the sort of extension you might hope from a good vented cab.
  7. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    What is your budget and how loud do you need to be?
  8. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    High passing.
  9. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    thanks, Duke.

The MVW design cabs are loaded in a completely different way than reflex or sealed cabs. (or transmission lines) JGR and Tom Bowlus were the ones that described it as "the tightness of a sealed box with the extension of a reflex box"

I only play down to a low B but I've found that for the first time I can play 16th notes on the B with no overhang between notes. The -3db point is very low and they might work very well in your circumstance. A MAS 210 Flex would have the equivalent air moving capability of a cab with 1.5 18's or an 810.

The MAS 46 goes a bit lower than the Flex 210. Two of these cabs (26 x 15 x 13 1/2) would go as loud as the 210 Flex.
  10. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

24.4997 hz

I wonder how that sounds, even though I can't hear it.
  11. TechnoDisciple

TechnoDisciple

You should also talk to fellow tb'er Jauqo III-X, He has a sub contra bass that he tunes to C#-F#-B-E and man does it shake the room. I can't remember the rig that he was using but I do believe that he had some custom strings on it. I don't think you will get the range you want from just a standard B set. You will also probably need to get a new nut to accommodate your thicker strings.

Here is a link to his bass.

http://www.jauqoiii-x.com/JK_pages/JK_equip.html
  12. Savage_Dreams

Savage_Dreams

just curious, but wouldnt the clarity youre hearing unplugged be because your not hearing all the super low frequencies that an amp would try to bring out? just for the record, i know nothing about the stuff that low.
  13. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I would contact TB user Ron Now, he tunes down to F or F# and has had great success with his rig. He is on his honeymoon right now, so it might be a minute before he responds.
  14. neptoon

neptoon

i was watching a nolly getgood rig video (also uses dingwalls) and he uses a darkglass B7K to tighten up his sound...you can hear the before/after sound on his low F#...he has the drive all the way down...watch all of it if you like, but from 6:30 he talks about how he uses it...at about 7:50 he talks specifically about the low F#...there is a _very_ noticable difference