1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

ClassD: Eden, Markbass, GK, Ampeg, Genz Heads--do you power them OFF between sets?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Blah114, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Blah114

Blah114 Supporting Member

Eden, Markbass, GK, Genz Heads--do you power them OFF between sets? If so, why? I power my Eden off between sets just because I want it to cool down. Never had any issues with it. I am just curious to know what everyone herein does. I always mute via a tuner pedal as well.
  2. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

I have never turned an amp off between sets, no matter what type it is/was. If your amp is getting too hot to the touch after a set, there might be something wrong with it.
  3. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Nope, no reason. If anything, probably slightly negative to do since on/off probably puts slighty more strain on the unit that just letting it on (minor thing though). Usually don't even use the mute... just turn down my bass and put it on the stand.
  4. Blah114

my amps are never too hot to the touch.
  5. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Class D amps by definition run cool. Turn it on, play for 5 hours, turn it off. Repeat for 5-10 years or more:D
  6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

7. Guygrooves

Guygrooves Supporting Member

I occasionally do turn mine off if Its a half hour or long break--WHY?,, I think its just a force of habit thing! I also unplug my bass as its active and take the cords out of my tuner pedal..old habits that are just hard to break!
  8. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Well, then call me clueless, but, why turn it off ? :eyebrow:
  9. TinIndian

TinIndian Supporting Member

Never. My Streamliner seems to run very cool. I've never felt it more than warm to the touch.
  10. eriky4003

eriky4003

GK MB500 owner here. At the end of a set: hit the mute button, tune the bass, unplug the active bass.
  11. bassfreakah

bassfreakah Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Ernie ball strings
    I never turn anything off on stage, it could send a pop through the FOH and the sound guy will have you turned off for the rest of the night. I think things sound better when they are warm any way, tubes and such. so keep the **** on!!!!
  12. Blah114

I can see all POVs.. I rarely use the DI on my eden or ampegs anway.. I use a box which precedes either.. so the FOH is not really contingent on the amp.
  13. shaft311

shaft311 Supporting Member

They're made to run for hundreds or thousands of hours on end. Once it's plugged in and heats up to the hottest it's going to get, it doesn't care if it's on for 20 minutes or two months.

It'll be just fine unless there is a malfunction.

Also as mentioned earlier, on/off without notifying the house that you're doing so (so he can mute the channel) can send bad sounds out through the front.
  14. johnpbass

johnpbass

I leave my amps on. Volume off on the bass itself always though.
  15. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I hit the mute button, and put my bass back in the bag.

16. bobcruz

bobcruz

Most amps cool off faster if left idling with the fan blowing, so if cooling is the goal, leave the amp on.
  17. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

No. I leave mine running, fan or not. At idle your amp is going to cool down anyway.
  18. halfjackson

halfjackson Supporting Member

The only time(s) that I have ever powered down any amp in between sets is at outdoor gigs in the summer, particularly when it's in direct sunlight. I've never had a problem but I've heard too many stories of amps overheating in those conditions.
  19. halfjackson

halfjackson Supporting Member

Makes sense to me.
  20. j0616bass

j0616bass Supporting Member

+20 to never turning it off. I've had several different Genz micros and never had a problem with heat