1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Classic 50s Precision vs. Road Worn 50s Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassAgent, Nov 26, 2013.

1. BassAgent

BassAgent

I'm thinking of getting a P-bass again. I love the feel of the Road Worn Precision, but I was wondering if the $400 difference between that bass and the "ordinary" 50's Precision or even the $150 difference with the lacquer version is actually worth it. What do you guys think?
  2. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

I've played a few of the road worn's and they do feel great. That said, my main bass is the standard 50's classic and I love it. The finish on the neck is a little bothersome on a really hot stage when I'm sweating a lot, but it doesn't bother me all that often. I really dig the huge neck. I did replace the pickups in mine with Lindy Fralin's and it got a little deeper, but the stock pickups were great. By far the best MIM bass Fender has ever made and it's a steal of a deal. I prefer it to the American Standards.
  3. Session1969

Session1969 Gold Supporting Member

Buy a Roadworn that's used.
  4. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

Hard to beat a Classic 50 s. I love mine .
  5. rootsnfifths

rootsnfifths Supporting Member

Do these 2 basses have the same neck specs?
  6. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

The RW P is a bigger neck than the RW jazz. I think the non RW 1950s P neck is the same profile as the RW, but the finish is different. I don't know about the frets.
  7. rootsnfifths

Thanks. I have 2 RW Jazz basses and I know that is different than the P. Just wondering about the Classic 50's P vs the Road Worn P. I would think the nut width is the same but how about front to back thickness?
  8. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

The ones I have picked up have a very similar profile in all ways - width, depth, curvature, etc. I bought a RW because I didn't like the way the poly felt. Otherwise, I liked the regular one very much. I don't remember what the frets were like, so that's something to check.
  9. Floridabwoy

Floridabwoy Supporting Member

the specs on the RW P and RI P are the same... I have the RI P and love it.
  10. rootsnfifths

Great thanks for the info fellas.
    I am not a big fan of shiny poly or sticky nitro necks. My Road Worn Jazz basses feel pretty good. I also dig the neck finish on a new American Standard Precision I just picked up.
  11. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

The Classic 50s has vintage size fretwire and a. 7.25" radius .