1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Classic Amplification Pup users

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rupture, Mar 11, 2014.

1. rupture

rupture Supporting Member

I have a 2012 Ric 4003. While I like it , I love the tone of the older 4001 's. Will the CA pups get me that 4001 clank. Or should I just sell the 3 and buy a 1. Thanks

2. Iheartreverb

Iheartreverb

I'm in a similar position and thinking of getting them too.

They are designed (and hand crafted/ wound) to be a faithful 4001 pickup copy.
    In theory this will get you much much closer to the sound your looking for without the hassle of selling your 4003 and buying a 4001 and potentially getting one you don't like the feel of.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you do it

3. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

4. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

My experience with CA pup's is they are pretty right on the money to a vintage sounding Ric pickup. Of course, if you don't have the .0047 capacitor installed, you're not going to be getting the vintage 4001 tone anyway, so that's important.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rupture

rupture Supporting Member

Were the pot values different too ? Will that affect tone much ?

7. Iheartreverb

Iheartreverb

Interested to know this too.

Some say there is a world of difference in the 330k pots, some say don't waste your time and use 250 neck/ 500 bridge