Classic Amplification Ric pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 53x39, Dec 7, 2012.

1. 53x39

53x39

My name 53x39 and I'm a recovering guitarist. This is my first post so go easy on me. I've been lurking for some time though.
    I have a 2011 4003 that I really like but felt the the pickups to be lacking in clarity, dynamics, and evenness. The tone was great but they seemed to be overwound for a big sound while missing other important features a good pickup should have. So I bought a set of Classic Amplification button top pickups.
    The build on the bridge has a metal base instead of plastic so there is no need to have an extra star ground from the pickup to the cover. When adding a bezel this extra fumbling with the spring, base, ground and cover caused me to cross thread the plastic a little. I also had to re attach the main ground from the factory because it had broken. The CA PUP has all wires enclosed neatly. Installing them was easy.
    The OEM neck has rubber magnets that I'm guessing the bridge also has. The magnet had a crack in it, probably from me raising and lowering the pickup in an attempt to balance the levels. The CA PUPs have high grade parts throughout the build as well as a precise build.
    The sound is much better. It's just as big and full as the OEM but with better definition, better dynamics and better sound overall. The E string on both pickups is strong, the balance between the two is much better and now I find myself using the neck only if I choose. Before the neck was just too soft to be effective by itself.
    These are the results that I have had and I'm very pleased with the change. These pickups appear to me to be Ric pickups. Not a version but the real thing made to the right specs using the right materials. The same way you would consider a Lollar P pickup to be a P pickup but made by Jason instead of fender.
    I hope this helps someone out. I found out about these through reading TalkBass. Thank You. This review isn't as flawless as I had in mind but I hope this helps other players find what they may be looking for and CA to continue doing the good work it does.
    Steve

2. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

Glad you chimed in with a positive review. Brad of ClassicAmplification does a hell of a job with those pickups.

3. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Enthusiastic +1!!!

Brad makes Ric pickups better than Rickenbacker. I too was seriously underwhelmed with the stock pickups in my 2010 4003. The pair of button tops I put in mine made it finally sound like a Ric should. :bassist:

4. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

I just went to the classic amplification page to buy one of these and the site is down.
    http://www.classicamplification.net/

Are these guys still in business?? Bummer if they aren't.

EDIT! Nevermind, I found the site still working at classicamplification.net

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jeff Mills

Jeff Mills

+2!!! I got three of his pickups in a custom carved top semi hollow body 4 string fretless I built. It sounds so good with Brad's pickups there is no way I would ever consider selling it.

[​IMG]

7. SRCRS

SRCRS

Any sound clips of these pickups posted somewhere?