1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Classic Bass brands to bring back

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ricknote, Feb 11, 2013.

1. ricknote

ricknote Supporting Member

With all the reissues of classic brands resurfacing, it got me thinking about all the cool brands I remember seeing in music stores in the late 70's when I first picked up the bass.
    Now in my 50's, I see SD Curlee, Framus, Hofner and many more making a comeback.

What bass guitar companies would it be fun to see again?

Rick
  2. KramerDon

KramerDon

I know technically Kramer basses are still sold,now they're owned by Gibson and have a "Kramer"decal on the headstock but I'd love to see the old aluminum necked mid-70's Kramers re-issued.I love my 650B that I bought used in the late 70's.
  3. superdick2112

superdick2112 Registered Spector Addict Supporting Member

I'd love to see the return of real Steinbergers, namely the graphite XL series basses.
    I would also like to see Eastwood reissue the old La Baye 2x4 models, both the guitar & bass versions.
  4. ricknote

I remember seeing those Aluminum neck Kramers at a store in Connecticut I used to visit in the 70's. I think it was called Ansonia Music.
    They had Travis Bean too. I was about 15 years old. They were so cool looking.

The original Steinbergers were amazing! I flipped when I first saw Sting playing one.
  5. Abaroa

Abaroa

Aren't all those brands sort of still around... Kramer and Steinberger are part of "the Gibson family of brands"... and Farmus is Warwick, isnt it?

Maybe you mean the return of some old models?
  6. ricknote

Kramer and Steinberger are owned by Gibson. I also saw the
    Framus stuff at Winter NAMM.

I was just wondering about other now defunct brands that
    haven't been revived.
  7. TonH

TonH

8. frankieC

frankieC Supporting Member

I had a Hagstrom as "loner" bass while having my Hofner worked on back in the late 60's. Surprisingly is was a good handling bass. sounded decent, too.
  9. ricknote

Shergold is a new one on me! I love it.
    I went through some of the archives and they have that
    Burns kind of look. The 8 string bass is KILLER!

Hagstrom is already back. I saw there booth at NAMM.
    The semi hollow Viking model is really sweet.

Anymore old brands still collecting dust?
  10. dcalde78

dcalde78

Kramer is still around but as it has been said, they've changed their lineup a lot. I have one of the Disciple D-1s, and I do like the Striker bass that they currently make but I'd like to see a reissue of the 80's style P/J basses that they made, along with Jacksons and Charvels of the day. They looked and sounded awesome. It's a real shame no one really produces that style of P/J any more. Slab bodies with contours, reverse P with a J, pointy headstock, vol/vol/tone.
  11. FloridaSam

FloridaSam

Original Mosrite.
  12. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time. Supporting Member

Peavey is obviously still making basses, but I think a lighter T-40, with a range of colors and fretboard options would be cool. Maybe a T-40 fiver...
  13. PazzoBasso

PazzoBasso

Lado...

although technically still around, I'd like to see the 70's/80's stuff come back... F2 & Unicorn...
  14. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

15. RickBlair

RickBlair

16. 20db pad

20db pad

17. FloridaSam

FloridaSam

Yeah...but two words..... Ed Roman.... (only one of two dealers? if they're so good why doesn't anyone sell them?) I've played these. NOT the same. Look the same but not the same. Something about the real, 15 coats of lacquer, mini frets, 60's mojo just isn't captured in these at all.
  18. zachoff

zachoff

Univox for sure!
  19. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

Are Vox Teardrops still being reissued? (I don't believe so.) How about Burns Bison Basses? If not, I'd like to see 'em make a comeback.
  20. bampilot06

bampilot06

not sure if its a classic but when i was in middle school i wanted an alvarez