Classic P in a 5? Or stick with a 4?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tedsalt, Mar 12, 2014.

1. tedsalt

tedsalt Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm looking for vintage tone similar to the classic 50s P or road worn 50s P. I was going to get one of these two. However, I just sold my 5, and am thinking about replacing with a Skyline 55-64. The old Warwick was great for church, but I haven't been playing there for a while, and it looks like my future work schedule will not allow me to do so either. I am starting to play classic rock once again.

I like the idea and simplicity of a 4 (with maybe an xtender), but will the 55-64 give me the same tone as the Fender 50s P ?

There's a possibility I could go ahead with the 4 now and maybe down the road pick up a 5.

My other current basses are a telejazz 4 and a Squier DVMJ 5 thats gone passive and going fretless.

As I'm going to be playing classic rock once again, I think a P in one form or another may serve me better ...

2. tedsalt

Media:
    Albums:
    Mainly interested in tone. I do prefer wider spacing at the nut.

3. chris_b

chris_b

I can't say enough good things about Mike Lull P5's, but my other bass, of 10 years, is a Lakland 55-94.

I wouldn't feel that I was missing out if these 2 turn out to be the last basses I buy.

4. nanymoa

nanymoa

Mike Lull is awesome, so is the Alleva KBP5, but in the Skyline price range i'd also check the Fender, and the Carvin pb5.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. garp

garp

I can’t say enough good things about the ‘50s Classic P. But if you’re more at home on a 34" scale instrument, I’d agree with nanymoa on also considering Fender’s American Standard Precision V. Best of luck with whichever way you ultimately decide to go.

7. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I've been coveting a Fender P5 in Guitar Center for a while. They sound awesome, and they're beautiful:
    [​IMG]

8. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Personally, I'd go with the Mike Lull. Traditional vibe with refinements, lightweight (for the most part), and top-shelf hardware & woods. You can pick one up used for under 2K.

Edit: much better balance than any of the Fender offerings.

Riis

9. darrenmt

darrenmt

I own a Skyline 55-64 and a RW P. The Fender P5 is a nice bass but the 55-64 sounds and feels better to me.... tonally nails that 60s P vintage vibe while retaining all the Lakland appointments i love(vintage style frets, Lakland compound radius, 35" scale and 19mm spacing). The Hanson Vintage pickups are awesome. The biggest difference between the Fender and Lakland are scale length and string spacing.... down to personal preference.

Fender RWs are pretty awesome. If you are comfortable with 4s, stick with it. If you are looking to a 5 because the music you play requires extended low range, try a bunch and see what you find more comfy to play.

10. tedsalt

Media:
    Albums:
    I believe the '50s Classic P and Road Worn P are both 34" scale.

The Lull and Lakland US models are unfortunately not in my budget.

In any case, I ended up pulling the trigger on duke2004's http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/fs-fender-roadworn-p-bass-7-75-lbs-1059861/

I've ordered a set of Gotoh Res-O-Lites and a Hipshot BT3 Xtender for it but will keep the vintage tuners in case I ever sell it. Should help with the balance (thanks Riis; how's the UL-310?).

Also ordered a set of DR Legend Flats, as I'm new to flats. I've used DRs on my other basses, so I'm hoping I like their flats. If not, I'll try some GHS or maybe TIs, maybe even some Labellas.

11. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

The 5564 with the Hanson vintage pickup will give you the classic tone.....it can be ordered in skyline or US basses.

I have it in a 5564 and a 5564 PJ ...love the tone!

12. Dave Siff

Dave Siff

I have this exact bass and I highly recommend it. Sits in the mix perfectly. I bought mine new 4+ years ago and I've never had to adjust the truss rod. It's the lowest-maintenance, most trouble-free bass I've ever owned.

13. kevmc28

kevmc28

I had that P5. It did sound great. But man was that neck hard to play. I traded it for a 4 string P-bass and got an Ibanez SR-885 for my 5 string needs. Doesn't sound as awesome but the playability is miles ahead, for me and my hands.

14. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

I had one of these myself. If my own gear/financial situation had been a little better, I would've hung onto mine. My Precision 5 did everything you want a P-Bass to do. And with flats it sounded great! I wasn't able to find a set of roundwounds that I liked for this bass, though I didn't try a lot of different sets of roundwounds. But the B string is pretty solid.