1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Classic Series 70s P or Aerodyne Jazz (Non Export)?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ercdvn01, Nov 10, 2012.

1. ercdvn01

ercdvn01

Hi everyone,

I have the chance to buy a new Aerodyne Jazz (non export) for approximately $600 shipped. I really like the look and the fact that it has a P and J pickup.

On the other hand, I really like the look of the classic series 70s P in Sunburst.

I saw a demo of the Aerodyne on You tube, and it seems like you can get a wide range of sounds out of it.

I haven't seen any good videos of the 70s P yet.

There are no stores around with either....especially a non export aerodyne.

Thanks for any info....I'm new at bass....but have it narrowed down to these two models....(unless a SB-700 falls in my lap for $600)

2. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Aerodyne (IIRC) has the P-pup placed slightly higher than the usual sweet spot. Mellows out all the strings if soloed. Just think of a Geddy Lee when thinking about the 70s jazz. I'm guessing you're referring to the MIM RI which I'm not sure if they share the same pups as the Geddy, but you really can't go wrong with either. Just remember that you get that extra spank with the 70s jazz due to the pup placement (and it completely covers with a bridge cover) while you get the punch of a P-bass with the Aerodyne. If weight is a concern, go with the Aerodyne. If not, the 70s Jazz is just as good.

Edit: FWIW, you can also try saving up slightly more ($750 to be safe) and purchase an official MIJ Aerodyne (not a MIJ made for US one) that has a pickguard, different color options available, and traditional jazz control plate (not that football strat jack). http://store.ishibashi.co.jp/ec/pro/disp/1/05-321098900

Really nice basses and Ishibashi Music has a good rep over here with many TBers purchasing from with without a problem - they also have reps that speak English as well.

3. ercdvn01

ercdvn01

Thanks....yea, it would be the MIJ Non Import model with pickguard etc..

The other bass would be the MIJ 70s Precision.